Chapter 52

It had been so long since I'd heard the voices of my packmates communicating through mind link, and I'd certainly never heard one hundred voices at once. The force of it, of becoming one with the Black Lupis pack, nearly brought me to my knees.

Before I could collapse from the overwhelming sensation, Nolan handed the chalice back to Raegan and held me against his chest. He wrapped his arms around my waist, holding me upright as my body remembered what it felt like to be part of a pack.

Cheers, clapping, and shouts of celebration sounded across the clearing. Or perhaps it was all still in my head? I didn't know—couldn't quite tell the difference, yet. And I didn't care. The sensation was wonderful. All at once, I could feel the absolute elation of every Black Lupis pack member. A head rush of the most delicious nature, but disorienting, nonetheless.

"Charlie? Are you alright?" Nolan cradled the back of my head with his massive, calloused hand, leaning down to look me in the eyes.

I blinked, somehow managing to tunnel through the cheering in my head and the clearing to focus on my mate. His dark brows were pulled together in concern.

"I'm... I'm wonderful!" I gasped, throwing myself against his chest once more. With my arms wrapped around his neck, I pressed my lips to his stubbled cheek. "Did you know about this?"

He laughed and shook his head. "I had no idea."

"Sorry," Raegan interjected, although the smile on his face was anything but apologetic. If anything, he seemed proud that they'd managed to surprise us. I could barely hear him over the excited chatter of the crowd, who were now mingling amongst one another. "We'd been planning this since you announced the Mating Ceremony, which, by the way, is complete."

"It is?" I questioned as Nolan set me back on my feet and wrapped one arm around my waist.

"It is," Raegan confirmed, closing the little brown book of rituals. "Well, you finished the parts that needed to be read in front of the pack. I figured you'd like to do the rest tonight, in private."

My heart soared, even as the heat in my cheeks melted slowly into the depths of me, pooling at the apex of my legs. New nerves twisted knots in my stomach. If Nolan noticed this shift, he made no mention of it. Instead, my mate smiled and shook the hand of our Beta. "Thank you, Raegan."

"Don't mention it." Raegan shrugged.

"It all worked out for the best," Dylan said, appearing beside Raegan with a sly smirk playing on his lips. "Because no one, and I mean no one, wanted to see the boner that Nolan would've gotten if he'd marked you just now."

My smile faltered and my lips cracked open in surprise, but Nolan laughed. "Interesting that you're thinking about my cock when you should be offering your congratulations?" Nolan narrowed his eyes in feigned skepticism.

"Oh, shut the hell up," Dylan groaned, rolling his eyes. An award-winning smile graced the Delta's lips once more as he finally looked my way. "Congratulations. Charles, you look hot."

"Thank you, Dylan," I answered.

He ran a hand through his perfectly sculpted hair and patted Nolan's shoulder twice. "Now, if you'll both excuse me, your majesties," Dylan's words dripped with sarcasm at the title. "I'm going to go get rip-roaring drunk with the rest of the pack. Enjoy your celebration."

"Why does that not surprise me?" I mused, returning my gaze to my mate. Nolan's eyes were already on me. "Shall we?" I offered, "Enjoy our celebration?"

Nolan grinned, pressing his lips to my temple. "I would be honored."

Nolan and I decided to take up residency at a sweetheart's table in the center of the courtyard, and a steady stream of pack members flooded us with well-wishes and gifts for the better part of an hour.

Nolan tried his best to distract me. He traced his fingers along my thigh while we sat and allowed his hand to drift scandalously low on my back when we stood. Despite the slow burning heat that sparked with every touch, I persistently focused on our pack members. I cherished every interaction—every hug and nod of respect. My pack. This was my pack.

Finally, the last of the well-wishers left our table, and I nearly collapsed back against the cushioned loveseat in exhaustion. "I think I need a drink."

Nolan took a seat beside me, draping his arm around my bare shoulders. He smirked and leaned in, one hand spreading across the tulle of my skirts and squeezing the thickest part of my thigh. My muscles tensed as a warm, electric tingle pulsed from his hand's placement near my core. "You're hurting my ego, Charlie," he teased, eyes like a predator.

"How so?" I challenged, a bit breathlessly.

"You've been very persistent in ignoring my advances," Nolan whispered, leaning closer until his breath tickled my cheek. An involuntary shiver traveled down my spine, and I barely contained a moan as he pressed his lips to the sensitive skin just beneath my ear.

I tried to scoff, but it came out as more of a sigh. "I've been trying to be a good Luna!"

"Hmm," my mate grumbled, but I could hear the affection lacing the sound. Thank the Moon Goddess, he seemed to give up his advances for the moment, pressing a quick kiss to my lips and releasing his grip on my upper thigh. I felt the absence of his touch more keenly than I'd like to admit. "Everyone loves you. You're everything this pack needed. Everything I needed."

"I love them," I admitted, eyes sweeping the celebrating crowds around us. The clearing was illuminated by lanterns and lights, and the sound of laughter rose above everything else. "Nothing has ever felt so... right.Hearing them and feeling them in my mind—I forgot how incredible it is."

Nolan smiled, grazing the corner of my mouth with another kiss, as if he couldn't quite help himself. I turned in the seat to face him more directly, allowing my fingers to trace the callouses on his own hands. "I do have a question, though."

"I have an answer," he replied, twining his fingers with mine in response to my touch.

"Why am I not connected to you?" I huffed, perplexed. In truth, as I spent time refamiliarizing myself with the mind link throughout the evening, I'd been trying again and again to connect to Nolan. Nothing seemed to get through. I could speak to Raegan, and Dylan, and even baby Landon. But not my mate.

Nolan traced the lines in the palm of my hand, smiling. "I was wondering if you'd noticed."

"Of course, I noticed," I frowned. "Why can't I mind link with you?"

He chuckled, and his hand rose to trace the furrowed line of my brow. "My blood wasn't in the chalice. You're connected to every member of the Black Lupis pack, except for your mate."

I blinked. I didn't understand how he could be so calm. "Well, is there a way to fix that?"

"We can remedy the situation tonight, my love," Nolan murmured, and his hand slipped from my face to my neck. Realization dawned on me as his thumb swept across the exposed skin just above my clavicle.

My Alpha's pupils expanded as his thumb grazed the spot again and I shuddered. My thighs pressed tight against one another, as if that could quench the delicious ache that grew at the thought of him at my neck, between my legs...

"Careful," Nolan warned, although the word dripped with sin. "Or we might not make it back to the cottage."

Oh, Moon Goddess. The thought excited me more than it should have. I stifled a moan as I reached out to weave my fingers through the black hair just above the nape of Nolan's neck and leaned. We breathed the same air now, our foreheads resting against each other's. "Now," I demanded, through a breathless whisper. "I want to remedy the situation, now. Is it terrible if we... retire?"

The question—my own desperation—embarrassed me more than it should have. But Nolan's gaze softened, and he kissed me, slow and gentle. I nearly protested when he pulled back, but he spoke first. "Charlotte, love, I don't think anyone will blame us. We've waited long enough." 

So sorry that this chapter is a bit short, but the next chapter would've been WAY too long if I'd combined the two! I hope you enjoyed :) Please be sure to vote, comment, and share if you did!