Chapter 17

After Nolan stormed out of the cottage earlier that morning, I threw away the crispy black toast and didn't make it two steps before a knock sounded on the door. Dylan stood on the front steps, a charismatic smile plastered on his handsome face. "Knock, knock, Luna!" He called through the wooden barrier. 

I opened the front door for the second time that morning, only, this time, I was aware of my own indecency. I kept a majority of my body hidden behind the door, and only my head peeked around the corner to greet this newcomer. "Hello?" 

"Hey, I'm Dylan, Delta of the Black Lupis Pack." He flashed his obscenely white teeth. "But you already knew that, didn't you?" 

He's cocky, I thought to myself, but offered the male a kind smile nonetheless. Having the Delta as my ally certainly would not hurt anything. "Nice to meet you, Dylan...  But please don't call me that. Charlie is fine."

He nodded, "Alright, Charlie, I'm here to watch you. Alpha's orders." 

Of course.  I narrowed my eyes. "I thought that was Sophia's job?" 

"She started training and school back up again. Plus, with everything that has been happening, Nolan thought it would be better to have someone a little stronger than Sophia around." I could have sworn I saw him puff out his own chest muscles.

"Well, I liked Sophia," I challenged. 

Dylan scoffed. "No, you liked how she would give you the keys to her brother's favorite car just so that you could crash it." My cheeks felt like they had been set on fire, but he continued with a small laugh, "Besides, I am more fun. Funner, smarter, faster, better looking, and I brought you clothes." 

My eyes widened at the last part. Indeed, a small sack of clothing was slung over his shoulder. Thank the Moon Goddess. I was worried I'd need to sneak into the pack house wearing only Nolan's t-shirt if I wanted to find any pants. I hastily reached out for the sack, but Dylan pulled it just out of my grasp. "Tell me that you think I'll be a better body guard than Sophia." 

I rolled my eyes at his condition and fought the urge to rake a claw across his smirk. "What do you think Nolan would say if I told him that you withheld my own clothing from me?" 

"You wouldn't." Dylan blanched. 

"Give me the clothes, and we do not have to find out." My lips curled into a smirk as he handed me the sack of clothing. 

Reveling in my victory, I retreated into Nolan's bedroom to change into a proper outfit. When I re-emerged, Dylan informed me that we would be spending our morning in the pack house. Little did I know that I'd be stuck watching him play Fortnight for hours... 

"Can we go do something, please?" I moaned. My legs hung off one side of a reclining lounge-chair, and my head hung off the other.

Dylan sat on the matching love-seat in the pack house living room, a game controller in both hands. Both of the Black Lupis Delta's eyes were glued on the television, where he battled against some animated foe. The man chewed on his lip, the poster-child of concentration, and I fought the urge to roll my eyes.

"If I am going to be stuck with you, can you at least tell me where Nolan is?" I pestered further, hoping that the whine in my voice would make him crack. 

He grunted in response, fingers moving furiously against the controller. But I must have broken his concentration, for, moments later, his little avatar fell to the ground. Seconds later, he had been killed. Dylan let out a long sigh of resignation and finally turned toward me. "Are you happy?"