Chapter 11

Sophia shook her head when I asked her to tell me what happened to Nolan's first mate, "He commanded us to not tell you... Besides, it's not really my story to tell."

I let out a sigh, almost relieved that she did not tell me the story of the previous Luna's untimely death. Maybe I would just have to ask Nolan myself, although it seems that our conversations always end in a fight.

Sophia combed her fingers through her dark hair, "A lot of the pack members were impressed by how you stood up to Alpha Nolan. They thought it was brave how you stood up for yourself instead of letting him push you around... But I would suggest standing down next time."

I laughed for a second before the thought of Nolan shifting into his wolf started playing in my mind, making me shudder.I had been so terrified and shocked that I had not taken time to fully appreciate the way his wolf looked. Nolan's wolf was massive and broad, with ebony fur covering every inch of his muscular body. He had almost reminded me of my rogue friend, except Nolan was far healthier and had more strength.

"Where is Nolan?" I asked quietly, knowing that I should go apologize to his human-face.

"He just left," Sophia was braiding her hair down her back.

He left? He thought he could just walk away after something like that? Of course he did, he's an Alpha.

"Do you know where he is going?" I tried not to seem too curious.

She finished tying off her braid, "It was a little chaotic, but I think I heard him say something about going to visit a friend in a different region. He will probably be gone for about a week."

A week? My eyes fell and I buried my head in my hands, almost feeling lost at the absence of him.

Sophia seemed to notice my distress and she lightly wrapped an arm around my back, "Come on. We're going to go run two miles."

"What?" I laughed slightly, but still stood up with her and started to walk out into the hallway.

"I am going to train you." She smirked. "So when Nolan comes back, you will be able to impress him." She waltzed down the stairs and out the door. 

Sophia led me down to the training fields again, where mostly everyone had cleared the area, although a few people were fighting in one of the rings for practice. Before I could say anything, Sophia gave me a challenging smile, "Try to keep up."

She took off quickly down a small dirt path that led into the woods, and it took me a few seconds to catch up.I had always been one of the best runners at the Golden Walkers Pack, but keeping up with Sophia proved to be a difficult challenge. After a couple of laps, Sophia stopped and cursed under her breath, "I forgot I had a patrol! I've got to go Charlie, but if you finish this lap then that will be one mile!"

She ran off the dirt path and into the woods, leaving me alone in the quietness of the forest.
I continued on with my jog, but a rustling in the woods behind me made me stop suddenly.

Cautiously, I turned around, preparing to scream if it was necessary, but let out a shaky laugh when the rogue from before appeared.

"Are you following me?" I teased with a small giggle, a sudden happiness filling me at the sight of my friend.

The wolf let out a raspy bark that was a laugh and took a few steps closer to me.

"Well, if you are going to stalk me, you should at least tell me your name and shift so I know who you are..." I tried to persuade him but he just rolled his eyes and shook his large head.

After a few moments of comfortable silence, I glanced at him, "Did you see what happened this morning?"

The wolf waited for a moment, as if debating whether or not to tell me the truth, but eventually he nodded. He really did follow me.

"I shouldn't have disobeyed Alpha Nolan."

The rogue rolled his eyes in disgust at the mention of Nolan and huffed out a puff of smoke from the cold weather. He obviously had something against my mate, and I began to wonder if he knew that Nolan and I were together.

"Well... I have to get back to training," uncomfortably, I turned back to the path.

The rogue made a sound and gave me a look that said 'You call that training? They have you running around in circles.'

"Could you teach me better?" It was meant to be a sarcastic comment, but my friend growled slightly, as if to say, 'Obviously' before he nodded.

"Really?" I walked back over to him now, no longer trying to resume my workout.

I was desperate for extra instruction, no matter where it came from. Besides, the rogue could not be a bad fighter considering he had survived for so long as a loner.

"When do you want to start? Tonight? I can meet you out here at nightfall," my voice was excited as I planned to meet with him. Nolan was going to be gone anyway, so there was no danger in getting caught.

The wolf nodded as I planned, but when I added something about him coming in human form, he tensed up.

"Please?" I begged, wanting desperately to know the identity of my rogue.

Without responding, the wolf jogged back in to the darkness, leaving me on the running path by myself once more.

By the time I finished the lap, it was well past lunch time, so I walked back into the pack house and, after a few minutes of searching, found
the kitchen. There was a basket of fruit on one of the marble counters, so I just grabbed two apples and hurriedly went back to my large bedroom, but not before I sipped one of the meat knives into my pocket.

If I was going to go out into the woods tonight, I would at least now have some kind of defense.

After I showered and changed in to new clothing, I decided to turn on the TV that hung on the wall in front of my bed. There were thousands of channels, but, somehow, I could not find anything that I wanted to watch. My mind continued to drift back to Nolan and the way he looked when I practically disclaimed him as my mate. 

After hours of preoccupying myself with pointless reality TV shows, dusk started to approach, and excitement began to course through my veins at the thought of my private session with the rogue. When I departed, I left the TV on in my room, so that it would seem like I was still in there if somebody came to check on me. Most of the pack had already gathered for dinner, so it was easy for me to slip out of the door and into the forest. Darkness fast approached, and the tree-casted shadows blended into the night by the time I arrived at the spot.

I was leaning against a large oak tree when a slow growl sounded from behind me. The hairs on the back of my neck rose, and I turned slowly to meet my rogue. To my surprise, a small sandy colored wolf stepped out of the bushes with her teeth bared.  What in hell? 

Immediately, my fingers clutched around the hilt of the small kitchen knife in my pocket. I thanked the Moon Goddess that I had been smart enough to grab it.  The tan wolf continued to advance on me, so I feebly swung the meat knife at her as I backed away.

"Oof!" I grunted when I backed directly into solid muscle. With my makeshift dagger in one hand, I swung at the rogue wolf before moving to strike the figure behind me. But neither blow met its target. 

A hand captured my knife-wielding wrist with ease, and, just like that, I was defenseless. But the figure, cloaked in shadow, reached out with his other hand and touched my cheek. On contact, I dropped the knife altogether.  he feeling of their skin on mine felt like a fire that was burning in the best way, and I could tell that they felt it too because the figure let out a sharp sigh of relief.

I instantly tried to spin around, to properly face my assailant. But the looming man behind me stopped me with another touch to my arm. A puppet master with perfect control over my strings. 

"Shhh, calm down, my angel." The man's voice was like velvet in my ear, and a pulse of shivers traveled down my spine. 

It took several moments before I could find my voice. "W-who are you?"

He wore a hood that covered most of his face, but I could still see his cracked lips move as he spoke. "Well, you did  invite me..."

I gulped. "What's your name?"

"Dominic." Something dangerous rumbled in his voice, contradicting the kindness of his blue eyes that shone beneath the shadows of his hood. 

"Why'd you bring someone?" I glanced back at the sandy rogue who was now sitting casually in the shadows. She seemed content to watch the show play out before her. 

"Well, I am training you tonight. I was not going to fight you myself, considering what happened when you tried to fight another Alpha this morning, so I brought a punching bag."

"You're an Alpha?" No wonder he seemed so powerful.

"No." He dismissed the idea. 

What? My mind begged for answers, but I felt that pressing him further would only end badly, so I remained silent.

"I saw your fight this morning, so I am just going to build on what you already know." He turned back so that he could get a good view of both me and the golden-haired wolf.

"You are fast, so if you learn how to dodge and counterattack then you could win... When Mary attacks you, I want you to step out of the way to the right and punch her with your left."

"I'm not just going to punch her!" There was no way this girl would be my punching bag.

"She is in her wolf form, my angel. She will not be able to feel anything." He patiently waited with arms folded against his chest. 

And so I did what he told, and, as the night went on, he taught me new techniques and moves to use against a variety of opponents. After what seemed like hours, my muscles were screaming and fatigue finally started to catch up to me, but no part of me wanted to stop. I found myself never wanting his voice to stop instructing me, so when he finally decided to stop I shook my head.

"No, I want to keep going."

"Charlie, you are tired. Go back to the house." He instructed, and suddenly I found myself wanting to obey his command.

"Can we go again tomorrow night?" I asked quietly, biting my lip as I waited for his reply.

"Maybe... Goodnight, Charlie." The finality in his words felt like a blow to my excitement.  

"Goodni-" but he had already disappeared into the darkness with Mary, and I frowned. The journey back to the packhorse was a lonely one. I took every care to silently enter the mansion, but a heavy door creaked and betrayed my arrival. 

 "Charlie?"

I almost screamed, but spun to face Raegan. Bewilderment clouded his soft features. I felt like a petty teenager getting caught by her parents.

"Mother above! You almost gave me a heart attack!" I gasped for breath, a hand on my heart to ensure that it still beat properly. 

"What are you doing? Where were you?" He questioned. His narrowed eyes seemed to look right through me. 

"Just training." At least it was not a complete lie. "I really want to improve. But I am tired, so goodnight!"

"Alright, goodnight..." We made to walk past one another, but he froze when I approached. He cocked his head to the side and breathed in. Shit, I smell like rogue. I kept my eyes forward casually and made for the stairs. 

I dreaded every second that I ascended, but Raegan never called me back. Once out of the Beta's sight, I ran to my bedroom and locked the door. But I knew that Raegan had smelt me, so it was only a matter of time before he told Nolan.  That thought alone made me dread my mate's return.