Chapter 34

'I know where the ring is. Going there now. Don't trust Sehan...'

My fingers furiously typed at the screen before pressing the little blue arrow that would send my text-message to Sophia's phone. She could relay the message to everyone else, while I paid a visit to the Golden Walker's kitchen.

Lizzie and I walked down the stairs as nonchalantly as possible. The living room was empty, and I assumed the rest of the Black Lupis gang were still searching for the ring in other areas of the house, various bedrooms and office-spaces where such a small object could have gotten misplaced. Little did they know that the ring adorned the left-hand of Sehan's blonde bride.

I suddenly understood why Sehan told Savannah to make herself busy in the kitchen. He wanted her, and her ring-finger, to stay out of sight. I told Lizzie not to mention the ring to Savannah, at least not until I had visual confirmation that it was on her hand. I certainly didn't need the Luna to hide the ring somewhere because we scared her with a line of questioning.

We entered the kitchen to find Savannah chopping away at a large slab of beef, cutting the raw meat into little squares that could have gone atop a dish of fried rice and vegetables. If I hadn't been so focused on my mission, my mouth might have watered at the thought.

Savannah smiled, the corners of her mouth practically reaching her ears, upon our arrival. "Hi there! Any luck finding that ring of yours?"

I mirrored her, flashing my teeth in a sickly-sweet smile, "No, we haven't had any luck. I'm starting to think the ring isn't even real."

It took every ounce of my concentration to keep my hazel eyes locked on hers. While I had Savannah's attention, Lizzie would check to make sure she wore the ring. I couldn't let Savannah know that I knew about the ring's whereabouts.

She pouted, putting on a display of disappointment, "I'm sorry we couldn't be more help, Charlie."

For a second, I actually believed her. Maybe Savannah didn't know that her mate had given her a monumentally powerful ring? Maybe Sehan was simply using her as a vessel to carry the witch's talisman? The thought tempted me to simply ask Savannah for her wedding ring.

"Please, don't apologize," I replied, unwilling to break my gaze yet. "But, while the rest of my pack members search, I figured I'd see if I could help you cook dinner?"

Savannah's eyes brightened at the offer, and she gestured toward the sink. "Oh, that sounds lovely! Go wash up, and then you can help with the vegetables! Lizzie, you can help, too."

I kept a smile painted on my lips all the way to the sink, since Savannah had watched my every movement since entering the room. I'll admit, she put on a convincing show, but I could tell that she did not trust me as far as she could throw me. Luckily for me, she had not been watching Lizzie's wandering eyes.

Lizzie met me at the sink, and I turned on the faucet before daring a glance in her direction. My red-haired friend lathered soap in her freckled hands, but she noticed my gaze and nodded once. She had seen the ring. It was here.

My heart accelerated within my chest, and I knew that I needed a delicate plan in order to take the ring from Savannah's finger. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to craft one, so I shook the water droplets from my finger and turned back toward the blonde Luna.

"What are you making?" I questioned, feigning interest.

"Filet mignon and veggies!" Savannah replied, sounding more than a little proud of herself. "And pie for desert!"

Moon Goddess, did she actually enjoy her life as a housewife? I pondered, and took my spot a few feet away by the washed vegetables. A knife already waited beside the onions and peppers.