Chapter 47

After that, word spread like a wildfire that I was awake.

If it were up to me, I would've like to stay in Nolan's arms for the greater part of the next week, but a furious knocking on the door ruined my chances. I frowned, utterly unwilling to slide off of Nolan's barely covered lap for whoever waited on the other side of the bedroom door.

Nolan groaned. "It's Trudy. She wants to give you a checkup."

I huffed. "I only died, passed into the afterlife, and clawed my way back to the world of the living again. I don't know why she'd think that I need a healer." My mate's lips parted in disbelief, but my lips curled up in a smirk. "I'm kidding."

My joke earned a chuckle from Nolan, who managed to grab the blanket that hung loosely around his waist with one hand, hoist me up with his other arm, and stand. I wrapped my legs tight around his hips and kept my arms coiled around his strong neck as he transferred me to the bed once more.

When he placed me on the bed, I pulled the first layer of sheets up to my waist and called, "Come in!"

The door cracked open, and the middle-aged healer stepped inside. The whites of her eyes expanded upon seeing me, sitting up in bed, as if she couldn't quite believe that I'd woken up. "Moon Goddess," Trudy exclaimed. "You're back."

I nodded and smiled, although it was a bit forced. "Feeling better than ever."

A lie. A complete and utter lie, considering the throbbing pain in my mid-section. Neither Trudy nor Nolan seemed to believe me. The first clucked and immediately set her medicine-bag on the foot of the king-sized bed. The second, my mate, reached out to place a large, calloused hand on my shoulder, squeezing the small mound of muscle.

My eyes drifted to Nolan's and saw his orbs clouded with concern. They held a silent request. Please don't try to be too brave. My resolve softened, and I reached up to squeeze his hand once before turning back to Trudy. "Actually, my chest and stomach hurt like a bitch."

Trudy smiled at my description. "I'm not surprised. You tore through your thoracic cage and punctured a lung. Not to mention you pulled out the knife and lost a fair amount of blood."

"Is that all?" I quipped. Nolan's grip on my shoulder tightened, and I knew that he relived every second of my death all over again.

"Now that you're awake, we can expect your healing to be expedited, even with a dormant wolf," Trudy explained, taking out a stethoscope and moving to my side. Nolan stepped out of the way so that the doctor could listen to my heartbeat and breathing. I dutifully allowed her to examine me, despite the pain that ricocheted through me with every breath.

The examination lasted for several minutes, but finally Trudy nodded and smiled between Nolan and I. "Well, I've certainly seen patients in better condition. But, given everything that you've put your body through, I'd say you will make a full recovery. I'd prefer if you took things easy for the next few days—stay in bed as much as possible and avoid over-excitement."

My mind, Moon Goddess save me, immediately flashed to the plans that Nolan and I had made just moments before. The Mating Ceremony and all that would come after... My eyes widened and I lurched forward in bed. "When, exactly, do you think I'll be ready for... excitement?"

Trudy blinked, confusion written plainly upon her face.

Nolan, on the other hand, chuckled. "Surely the Mating Ceremony can wait until you're feeling better, Charlotte?"

Heat crept up my neck, and I shoved an elbow into Nolan's side. Given my injuries, the prod lacked the umph that I'd intended, a measly punishment for my mate's exposure of my true worries. He laughed again, and even Trudy chuckled at the interaction.