Chapter 57

Nolan did, indeed, thoroughly worship me for the remainder of the afternoon. When the time came for him to depart, we both had trouble saying goodbye.

Dylan, Raegan, Zephora, and a handful of Gemini witches were gathered around the SUV, while Nolan and I embraced each other a few paces away. Even though we'd spent the last several hours in a tangle of skin, it felt like any space between our bodies was far too much. Nolan seemed to share my sentiment, holding me close against his chest as if this might have been the last moment had together...

"Charlie," he whispered my name against my hair, his lips pressed to the top of my head. "I'll be seeing you soon, my love."

I forced myself to smile, even as tears threatened to spill over the corners of my eyes. "I wish I could go with you."

We'd had that discussion several times already. But Nolan and Zephora were steadfast in their belief that Angelina and I should remain at the packhouse for safety. We, after all, were far too precious to expose while the hybrids still posed a threat. I was prepared to continue the debate, but Nolan had begged me to stay inside the enchanted pack house. Just for a few more hours.

Begrudgingly, I agreed. For my mate's sake, more than my own. Nolan claimed he wouldn't be able to focus if he thought that I might be at risk.

"I know," Nolan murmured, his large hands rubbing down the expanse of my back. "But it'll just be a few hours."

I sighed, nodding despite the fact that my head was pressed against his firm chest. I took a deep breath before finally peeling myself away from my mate. "Alright, you're going to make everyone late."

"I love you, Charlotte," Nolan repeated for what might have been the hundredth time that afternoon. The words sounded just as sweet as the first time he'd said it.

Warmth swelled in my chest, but emotion threatened to clog my throat. I simply nodded again, gesturing toward the waiting group by the SUV. My eyes landed on Raegan and Dylan, who were leaning against the black vehicle's rear.

"You two take care of him," I instructed, trying my best to smile at my Beta and Delta.

Dylan smirked and saluted, while Raegan responded with a dutiful, "With my life. See you soon, Charles."

Nolan turned back toward me, and I knew that he wanted one last goodbye, but I couldn't stand the thought of it. A final goodbye felt too real. It felt like we were preparing for something. So, instead, I held my mate's gaze and smiled, although the corners of my lips twitched helplessly. "See you soon, okay?"

Nolan blinked, his chest expanding once. Something like pain lanced through me at the sight, but he quickly nodded. "Okay."

We both turned– Nolan toward the SUV and me toward the packhouse, where Angelia was waiting on the porch. She'd already said her goodbyes to her mother and coven sisters.

I reached the cocoa-skinned witch and sighed, turning to watch my mate, pack members, and the witches pile into the SUV. "Something doesn't feel right about this."

"I know," Angelina agreed, her lips pressed into a thin line.

"Is there anything we can do?" I asked, my chest tightening at the sound of the SUV's engine starting.

The vehicle slowly moved into motion, and my fingers balled into fists as the wheels slowly carried Nolan further and further away from me.

Angelina released a long breath. "I'll do some research in the grimoires, but I'm not sure if I'll find anything. Our spell books don't contain much on dark magic."