Chapter 40

Everything was happening too quickly.

I'd been shuffled inside of the pack house in order to grant permission of entrance to all applicable parties. It took longer than I'd thought it would, but, then again, the sheer size of the Black Lupis pack always seemed to amaze me. I also granted access to the witch coven, but not a single rogue stepped forward to ask for refuge in the pack house. I wondered if Dominic gave that order.

Shortly after we'd situated things with the enchanted pack house, Lizzie accompanied me to an upstairs bedroom in the mansion in order to wash myself of Nolan's scent-- again.

"I didn't get to say goodbye to him," I protested, faltering on the staircase as I looked back down to the crowded living room. Nolan wasn't anywhere in sight.

Lizzie frowned, following my gaze for a moment before gently nudging me forward, closer to the stop of the stairwell. "Don't think of it as goodbye," she chided.

Of course, I knew that she was right. My doubts would not encourage anyone in the face of battle. Besides, I faintly remembered hearing that Nolan was headed out to the training yard in order to help Dylan organize fighting units and leaders. I would only be a distraction.

Finally, I relented, slowly ascending the last steps to the second floor of the packhouse. When we reached the bedroom, Lizzie set about searching for a suitable, freshly washed outfit that had likely never been even looked at by Nolan, and I stripped down to just my skin and stepped in the shower.Scalding water peppered my skin as I mercilessly scrubbed every inch of myself with the strong scent of Irish Spring. A few minutes later, any trace of Nolan on my skin was washed down the drain.

Lizzie managed to find a pair of thick legging and a tight-knit athletic top that could have acted as a second skin. If I had actually been capable of fighting, the outfit would have been perfect for quick movements against my enemies... Too bad I'll be locked inside with the elders and children.

Hesitating, I lifted the shirt-sleeve to my nose and sniffed. Not a trace of peppermint or pine. And I was certain that my fear had masked any remnants of the lusty scent that had lingered after my earlier encounter with Nolan.

I exited the bathroom to find the bedroom empty. Lizzie must have already departed to join the preparations. I was alone.

After braiding my hair, I made my way back down the stairs to the living room, where most of its previous occupants had left to begin preparing for the battle. Only the oldest and youngest members of the Black Lupis Pack remained, including Abby and her baby.

Landon slept soundly in his mother's warm embrace, utterly oblivious to the impending war on our doorstep. I couldn't help but smile at the baby's innocence. Landon's only worries were teething pains and when he could next fill his belly with his mother's milk. I ripped my gaze from the smallest member of the pack to his mother, whose eyes were brimmed with worry.

Abby had so much to lose. We all did.

It took some effort, but I managed to pull a half-hearted smile on my lips as Abby's eyes locked onto mine. I could remain optimistic for her and the rest of the pack members who would be waiting inside while loved-ones fought.

Abby didn't bother attempting to share my smile as her gaze drifted slowly back to the baby in her arms. For a moment, I couldn't help wondering if I'd ever have the chance to hold Nolan's child in my arms. The chance to become a mother myself-- to understand a mother's love.

A thick lump formed in my throat, and I quickly spun to look out the window before any of the living room occupants could notice. Outside, werewolves, witches, and rogues scrambled to find their squadron, develop strategies, or simply share a laugh with an old friend one last time. I began looking through the glass for my friends and family.