Chapter 33

I cradled my bloody hand while Sehan led us into the Golden Walker's pack house. Nolan explained our mission to him: We needed the talisman-- the silver, emerald-stone ring that once belonged to Zephora's grandmother. The key to solving all of our problems. Or, at least most of them...

"You're welcome to search the pack house, but I think I'd know if I possessed such a power-filled ring," Sehan gestured to the expansive mansion that I'd grown up in.

As soon as we crossed over the threshold, a young woman approached with gauze and bandages in her arms. Sehan had wasted no time in calling for a medic to tend to my hand.

Nolan watched the nurse for a long moment, as if inspecting her every move. Eventually, he must have considered the girl harmless, for he turned back to Sehan, something like grim worry clouding his eyes, "Thank you. We'll be quick in our search."

I understood why Nolan worried. The ring could be anywhere, and it certainly did not help that Sehan claimed that he hadn't the faintest idea where such a magical object could be. Our task had just become immeasurably more difficult.

"Do you mind if I search your bedroom?" I asked the rival Alpha, peeking over the shoulder of his nurse. "I think I remember seeing it there when I was younger, while Lizzie and I played a game."

Sehan blinked, opened his mouth like he might question why I had been in his personal bedroom during a game of hide-and-seek, but closed it again when he nodded. "Of course. You still remember the way, I assume?"

Savannah, who still had both hands wrapped around her mate's bicep, rolled her eyes, "Please, my sweet. Charlotte has been gone for a few months, not a few decades. I'm sure our pack house still feels like home to her!"

I swallowed the bile that threatened to creep up my throat at the sight of the odd couple. At least Savannah did not seem to notice the astronomical age difference between them... Or, if she did, she ignored it for the sake of becoming a Luna.

Regardless, I bit back a snarky response and ground my teeth into a smile, "I think I can manage."

The nurse finished wrapping my hand in gauze and I muttered a quick 'thank you.' She bowed her head and hurried away, and I narrowed my eyes at her strange behavior. Perhaps Nolan's piercing stare had jumbled her nerves?

"I'll send you with an escort, just in case," Sehan smiled as I flexed my bandaged hand, growing accustomed to the weight of the cotton surrounding my wrist. Before I could protest, the front door to the pack house opened, and a mop of familiar red-hair entered.

"Lizzie!" I exclaimed, as my childhood best friend hesitantly entered the crowded living room.

Her hazel eyes shifted between my Black Lupis friends, one perfectly manicured brow cocked in confusion. She stopped several feet away from me and refused to acknowledge anyone besides Sehan. "You called me, Alpha?"

"I thought you might like to spend some time with your friend," Sehan explained, although something like mischief sparkled in his eyes.

Lizzie's face became unreadable, but a muscle in her jaw twitched in frustration. "Is this an order?"

Dylan coughed from behind me, a poor attempt at concealing a laugh, and I might have jabbed my elbow into his side if I wasn't so shocked by the blatant distaste dripping from Lizzie's lips. The rest of my party shifted on their feet. Moon Goddess, did she really hate me so much?!

"Yes," Sehan replied, clearly displeased by Lizzie's initial refusal. "I'd like each of our Black Lupis guests to have an escort while searching our home."