Chapter 9

''Okay, so you've never, ever had a boyfriend, Lee?'' Harry questioned with his eyebrow raised at the little girl. They just finished eating, Harry and Alex grilling Lee with questions.

''Um, no.'' Lee muttered, biting her plump lip. Harry chuckled, glancing at Alex. He nodded at her.

''I've seen the pictures, Lee.'' Harry dramatically sighed. ''Why didn't you tell me?'' he whimpered. Lee's eyes widened at Harry's question, her eyes trailing from her mum's to Harry's.

''How..what? MOMMY WHY DID YOU SHOW HIM THE PICTURES I TOLD YOU NOT TO!'' Lee suddenly wailed. Harry's eyebrows rose in surprise, eyes wide as he stared at Lee. She hid her face with her hands, letting out guilty sobs.

''There's pictures!'' He screeched. ''Lee, did you really have a boyfriend? Oh God, I was kidding!''

Alex burst out laughing at the situation, slapping her forehead with her hand. ''Oh my God, Harry! There are no pictures!''

''What? What is going on? Lee?'' Harry asked in confusion. Lee's face was revealed, wickedly smiling at him.

''Gotcha!'' Lee screamed at Harry. His eyebrows pulled down into a frown, slightly shaking his head at her.

''You little deceiver,'' He growled at her, attacking her hips with his fingers as he started to tickle her. Her loud laugh filled the empty cafe, the sound echoing through the vacant space. Alex's cheeks hurt from smiling widely, slightly flushed in a healthy color of red.

''S-stop!'' Lee wheezed. ''A-I-Harry!'' He continued to tickle her. Lee's face turned red, catching Alex's attention.

''Harry,'' She panicked. ''I think you should stop.''

Lee's laughter faltered, and soon was replaced by a fit of coughs. Her small hands reached for her neck as she coughed, unable to breathe.

''She has asthma!'' Alex loudly said. ''Oh my God, I don't have her inhaler!'' She reached for Lee, who was still struggling to properly breathe.

Harry began to panic because for a second, he didn't know what to do. ''Shit!'' He cursed. He quickly pulled Lee into his arms, fleeing out of the cafe, Alex hot on his heels.

It was quite the view. A man running through the busy streets of New York city, an unwell child in his arms, and her mother crying behind them.

Harry muscles burned as he ran, his eyes searching for a pharmacy. Lee's face was becoming redder as the time passed, pushing Harry over the edge as his feet carried him in between the passing cars, ignoring their loud horns, to the pharmacy. He was out of breathe as he pushed the door open with his foot, placing Lee on the counter as he quickly demanded an inhaler for the little girl he adored a little too much.

+

''I'm so, so sorry, Little Lee.'' Harry's glassy eyes stared into her blue ones. He felt incredibly guilty, well aware that he was the reason why the little girl was in pain for a whole ten minutes. He already felt bad because she had to deal with her father at home, and now, Harry had made her have an asthma attack.Lee was too precious to let go.

''I already told you it's alright,'' Lee shrugged her shoulders. ''It doesn't hurt anymore.''

Harry nodded, his pouted lips kissing her forehead before turning to face Alex. She was throwing away her tissue, that was drenched in the tears that were running down her cheeks a few minutes ago.
''Alex,'' he muttered. ''I'm so sorry. I didn't even know, I swear if I did I would have never-''

Alex flung her arms around his neck, burying her face there as she hugged Harry. His arms went around her thin waist, whispering apologies as they hugged each other. ''Thank you.'' She whimpered. Harry frowned, shaking his head at her.

''But I-''

''You saved her.'' She pointed out.

''You have no idea how she has saved me before.'' Harry quietly said, glancing at Lee, who was pretending to read a beauty magazine that she found on the glass table. His lips pulled into a smile, mentally thank God she was okay. Her eye caught Harry's, grinning widely at him. He grinned back before walking towards her and placing her on his back. Her arms went around his neck as he payed for the inhalers he had gotten her for later.

They left the pharmacy, Alex walking next to Harry as Lee stayed on Harry's back.

Alex didn't realize how bad of a mother she was until the small incident that happened today. What if Harry wasn't with them? Since Alex panicked a little too much, she wouldn't know what to do. Her only daughter would have died because she forgot her damn inhaler. She was silently hating herself as they walked home, ignoring the sun hitting her skin. Her glassy eyes were making her vision blurry, but likely their street was empty, so no cars were roaming around.

Lee had fallen asleep on Harry's shoulder for the second time in a matter of one week, not that Harry minded. In fact, he was glad. Alex and Harry walked up the stairs, both of their tongues tied due to different reasons.

I'm a horrible mom, Alex repeated in her mind. You deserve what you've been given for all these years. You're an irresponsible, terrible mom. Lee deserves better than you.

Harry stepped inside his apartment, placed Lee on his couch before turning Alex, who was about to have a meltdown. Harry knew.

He walked towards her, the end of his lips pulled down as he studied her facial expression. Her eyes were fixed at the wooden floor, teeth biting her bottom lip to prevent herself from crying, and her hands were slightly shaking at her sides. Her self-control was on mighty thin ice.

''Alex,'' Harry said. ''Are you okay?''

She shook her head as she tried to form a sentence. ''I-Lee, I d-didn't,'' She choked out. Harry pulled her to his chest, hand stroking her back as she finally blinked, allowing her tears to flow down her pale cheeks. She loudly sobbed, and it wasn't only the incident that made her cry this hard.

She hadn't realized how terrible her life was until now, standing in the arms of Harry, who did not know a single thing about her life, expect that she was the victim of her relationship with her husband, but all he knew was that he wanted to take care of her and Lee for as long as he could live. He wanted to make her feel all right, or even make sure she does soon. He denied it, anyway. Pushed it to the back of his mind, however, it made its way back.

''Shh, it's okay.'' He whispered in her ear.

''This is not okay.'' Alex whimpered.

''This is okay. It may seem like it isn't, and I know you're not feeling very well, but everything is going to be okay. Not now maybe, but it will eventually. You're, like, okay. Do you understand, Alex? I promise you're okay.''

Author's note: that was a bit rushed ahahah but aw halex makes my heart melt:( i updated twice today because i was motivated by @surrenderstyles thank you so much for your constant support! x this chapter is dedicated to you babe. x
make sure you vote and comment pleeeeease.
and lee is played by Lux im sorry but i cant imagine someone else but her soz

lots of love and a yara hug xxx

byeeee