Chapter 14

I did not know what to do after Mark's sudden appearance. Of course, we all knew he would be back, just not this fast. Why did he even come here, at this time? He most definitely knew Alex has still not recovered and she would not easily give in.

Or would she?

My blood was still boiling with anger but I managed to keep my cool for Lee and Alex's sake. After I had comforted the little girl, I gave her my phone to watch some Netflix, hoping it would distract her for a while as I talk to Alex in private. She was still slumped against the door, glassy eyes fixed on the wall in front of her, absentmindedly biting on her lip. I feel my anger dissolve as I stare at her for a second. It won't help if I'm mad.
I slid down next to her, pulling my knees to my chest. ''Hey Al, want to hear a joke?'' I nudged her with my elbow. I take her silence as a yes. ''A farmer failed as a stand up comedian because all his jokes were corny.'' I grin, unable to hide my smile anymore. I begin to laugh, as I poked her sides. A small smile forms on her lips and I feel myself start to relax.

''That was terrible.'' She giggled as she wiped her tears with the back of her hands. ''That was really terrible.''

''I have another one,'' I say. ''Is your face Mcdonald's'? Because I'm lovin' it!''

''I think the farmer's jokes are better than yours.''

''I am a farmer. Didn't I tell you that I used to live in the valley?'' I say in an American accent. Alex burst out laughing, pushing at my shoulder.

''Thank you, Harry.'' Alex wrapped her arms around me, burying her face in my neck. I hug her back, planting a small kiss on her hairline.

''Do you want to go the park today? I saw a couple posters about a festival tonight?'' Alex nodded. ''We should totally go.'' I plead.

''Are you sure?'' Alex asked.

''Yeah, like, why not? You'll enjoy your time, okay? I promise.''

***

   ''HARRY! I WANT THE BUNNY PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEEEEASE!'' Lee screamed, jumping on her feet as she pointed at the bunny hung on one the shelves. I released her hand and grinned at the little girl.

The weather was nice tonight, slight breeze and all. The festival was crowded with people, flashing lights from every shack and music coming from the DJ on the side. I was enjoying my time so far.

''Okay, Lee.'' Alex held Lee's hand as I marched towards the shack, a small smirk playing on my cherry lips. A banner said I'd have to pay a dollar for each round so I pulled out one because I knew I'd win from the very first time.

I handed the man the bill, earning three balls in return. Cups were placed on top of each other, forming a small pyramid. All I needed to do was knock the cups. I squinted, focusing on the center of the cups. I heard Lee groan in the back, telling me to hurry up. He chuckled and nodded. I threw the first ball, smirking when it hit the cups. They fell with a small crash, earning a few claps and a pat on the back from the shack's owner. I proudly grinned, and pointed at the yellow bunny. The man snatched it off the shelf and handed it to me. ''Nice shot, man.''

''Thanks.'' I smiled. I turned around to face a very excited Lee. I handed her the bunny and watched her squeal in excitement.

''What do we say, Lee?'' Alex urged, narrowing her gaze at her daughter.

''Iwontflushyourphonedownthetiolet!'' Lee gushed, hugging the stuffed animal to her chest. I burst out laughing at her response, crouching down to her level as I kissed her warm, full cheek.

''Anything for my Little Lee.''

''Hey! I'm this big!" Lee placed her hand in front my face, showing off four of her chubby, small fingers. I pretended to eat her fingers, causing her to squeal and pull at my hair.

''No hair pulling,'' I jokingly said.''Bet I'll go bald by the end of the year.'' I peered at Alex, chuckling.

''I wanna try something when we get back home,'' Lee said.

''What are you going to do?'' I wiggled my eyebrows at her.

''Braid your hair. Can I?''

''I really like your hair like this.'' Janelle said as she pushed her hand through my wavy hair.

''You do?'' I hummed.

''Yes,'' She leaned and kissed my cheek. ''Can I braid it?'' She grinned.

''What? No,'' I shook my head.

''Please, Harry.'' Jane pouted. I shook my head again, crossing my arms against  my chest. ''Pleaseeeeee.''

''God damn it, Jane. Stop screaming.'' I muttered, gently patting my hair.

''Is that a yes?'' She grinned when I finally nod my head yes. Janelle squealed in excitement as she ran to get her hair brush. Apparently my hair is always tangled. Do I look like a fuck, Jane? No.

''Don't ruin my hair, don't pull at it or make it turn frizzy or some shit.'' I grumbled as she returned, sitting behind. I groaned when she started to brush away the tangles, wincing when my head was pulled backwards.  I see tens of those rubber band shits and my eyes widen. ''What are those for?'' I gasped.

''To tie your hair, silly.'' Jane kissed my neck.

''No shit. Why that much?'' I whined.

''You never know how much you need. Now shut up and let me braid your beautiful hair.'' Jane shushed me. I grumble under my breath, earning a slap on the back of my neck.

''Don't be rude. I heard what you said.''

I smirk and sit back. Let's see where this ends.

I blink a few times, not noticing the liquid forming in my eyes. Alex stares at me with wide eyes, and Lee looked like she regretted asking the question.

I clear my throat, plastering a small smile. ''Yeah sure you can, Lee.''

AUTHOR'S NOTE: hiiiiiii thank you so much for 1,5k reads!!!! thats unbelievaaaable!!!!!!