Chapter 28

Alex's POV:

The following weeks were the same. Harry stayed in my apartment the entire time, not that I was complaining. Lee's school had started, meaning she was not available for almost half of the day. That gave Harry and I time to get to know each other more than we already do, explore each others' personalities. It made me happy. Harry made me happy. He pulled me out of the misery I was living in, the erased the sadness from my heart and eyes. He cured me from everything that was going to end me. And I think I did the same to him, of course, with Lee's help. He had told me a few nights ago when we were lying in bed in the morning, Lee long gone to school only two hours ago.

"I think you're one of the best things that has ever happened to me." He mumbled against my neck. My arms, which were wrapped around his waist, tightened their grip.

"I could say the same to you," I confessed, my chest rising and falling in sync with his. "You and Lee are the reason I'm happy again."

"You and Lee are the reason I'm happy again," he chuckled, planting a kiss on the top of my head. I smiled against his chest, my stomach churning and turning due to his sweet words.

A few moments of comfortable silence passed, and I thought Harry had fallen asleep again.

"Do you think we'll make it? With whatever is yet to come?" I whispered, gulping away the nervousness that came with just thinking about it.

"Of course we will. I'm not letting you go. I can't now that I've found you, no matter what. We'll get through his together. We're a team of three against one." He replied, and his response provided the comfort that I was yearning for.

Days passed and still no response from Mark. That deeply worried me. What if he didn't consider every single word I said? Did I need to go to the police station and report him for abuse? I didn't know what to do but I hoped he thinks rationally for the first time in ever. I hoped it doesn't have to reach authorities.

Harry has been supportive as ever, saying the right words every time I am at the verge of losing my mind and temper. He planted a new type of confidence in me, reminding me every day that I am strong and capable of doing anything I want to.

Lee and Harry have been closer than ever, and I can't even describe how happy I am that that is happening. Whenever she is home, she is with Harry. It's like there is an invisible rope wrapped their waists, tugging them to each other whenever one of them is around the other.

It a Saturday when I got that call, Harry was out with Lee, and every thing completely fell apart. The words played in my mind over and over again, pushing me over the edge. The phone fell from my hands, tumbling to the floor with a loud thud. My eyes immediately filled with tears, my mouth hung open in surprise.

"No, no, no, no," I whispered to myself, my hands finding their way to my face, hiding it. The tears slid down my cheeks and onto my neck then down to my shirt, soaking it. I began to scream for help, even though there was nothing to do in this situation. My throat felt like it's been torn apart as I screamed in agony, my breath short and fast, but it felt like I couldn't breathe.

My mind was racing with horrific images of what had happened, making me feel dizzy and sick at the same time.

They'redeadthey'redeadthey'redead.

The last thing I remember was the door opening, revealing a very concerned Harry and Lee.

Harry's POV:

"What are we going to be buy her for birthday?" I asked Lee, pushing the grocery cart forward. She was sitting in the small seat in the cart, her head leaning against her palms.

"I think she wants cookies," Lee said, batting her eyelashes at me. I laughed and wiggled my eyebrows at her.

"She wants the cookies or you want them?" I questioned with a smile on my face. Lee cheekily shrugged her shoulders.

"Alright, we'll get lots of them, then." I said and Lee loudly cheered.

"You are the best daddy in the whole wide world!" I stiffened at her statement, but still smiled at her anyway.

"And you are the best daughter anyone could ask for," I replied, kissing her forehead.

"I love you and so does mommy. Do you love us?" Lee asked, her curious eyes pouring into mine.

"Course I do." I smoothly replied.
"Good because love means family and I want a family so bad." Lee muttered and before I could think of a response, she was screaming at me, pointing at the shelf of various cookies.

An hour later, we were done with the groceries. Lee's hand was tightly clutched in mine as we walked home. It was about five the in the evening, but the sky was still dimly lit. We managed to return to the building before it was dark.

Going up the stairs, I heard loud screams. I immediately recognized Alex's voice, which made me haul Lee into my arms and leave the plastic bags in the middle of the staircase. I ran up the stairs, my heart painfully thumping against my ribcage. Lee recognized her mother's voice too and started to cry as I desperately ran. My feet began to ache but I was almost there.

I set down Lee on the floor, promising her that everything is all right before clumsily fetching my keys out of my pocket. Her screams were getting louder and louder, making it difficult for me to unlock the door with shaky hands.

"Oh my God, Alex!" I yelled when I saw her body drop onto the floor in front of my eyes. I ran to her, dropping down to my knees.

Lee's cries got louder,my chest felt uncomfortably tight as I pleaded for Alex to wake up.

Her eyes fluttered open and immediately filled with tears, concerning me even more.

"Alex," I hugged her, wiping her tears away with my hand. "What's wrong? What happened?" I asked as Lee approached us, still crying but with no sound this time. I could hear shaky breaths and how she tried to muffle them.

"Harry," Alex cried, clutching my shirt in her hand. "They're dead."
My heart paused for a minute before snapping back to life.
I was almost scared to ask but I had to.

"W-Who's dead?" she cried a little harder.

"Miranda and M-Mark. They've been in an accident. They're dead, Harry."

Author's note: sooo the weather????