Chapter 17

"Hold the bottle properly so it doesn't fall and break," Alex softly said as she balanced the cake she had baked earlier in her hand as she shut her apartment's door behind her.

Lee nodded and hugged the bottle of orange juice to her small chest, resting her chest on top of it. Alex ruffled her hair and walked her to Harry's door.

"Here," She took the bottle from Lee so that the little girl could knock. Lee excitedly raised her hand to the door and knocked three times. Alex's excitement dissolved as the door swung open, revealing a messy Harry. His usual bright eyes were dull, dark circles surrounding them. His hair was unruly, standing up in different directions as if he had ran his finger repeatedly through them. Alex studied him, a frown firmly on her face before she let out a deep sigh. She ignored the uneasiness in her stomach and forced a smile on her face. All of that seemed to happen in a matter of seconds before Lee exclaimed Surprise! with a huge grin on her face as she stared at Harry.

The sad look on his face seemed to wiped off as he crouched down and hugged Lee to him, burying his face in her neck. "Hello, Lee." He said.

He peered up at Alex , giving her a small smile that made her stomach flip. "Hi, Al."

"Hi," She breathed, finally catching her breath. "Is this a bad time?" She frowned, examining his look again. The last thing she wanted was to bore him or invade his privacy. He needed space.

"Of course not," He rose to his normal height. He smiled brightly again and moved to the side. "Come in, you two."

Alex let out a shaky breath and nodded, letting Lee in before her. Her palms were sweaty, uncomfortably sticking to the tray she had put the cake on. Her heart felt it was beating irregularly. What if he was annoyed with them coming over every single day? The thought of Harry getting bored from her and Lee frightened her. She didn't want him to leave them. She needed him in her life. He has become a priority.

The apartment was the same as she last saw it, only a few bottles of beer scattered across the room. She frowned and glanced at Harry, who shrugged in response and started to clean the mess up. Lee had stood up the door, silently watching the two interact. Those bottles of beer were not an unfamiliar sight, and suddenly, all she saw was her drunk father's face. A small whimper left her lips, not loud enough for Harry or Alex to hear. She leaned on the door frame, crossing her arms against her small chest.

After Harry threw away the bottles, he sat down, patting the couch next to him. Lee frowned but walked to the couch anyway, and sat next to Harry. She knew he meant no harm, and he was definitely not like her father. Harry was better than that.

Alex silently placed the tray on the coffee table, plastering a smile on her lips as she looked up at the two. ''I hope you like chocolate.'' She said, walking to the kitchen to get a knife, three forks,and plates. Harry hummed in response.

''Yes. My favorite.'' He replied. He hugged Lee to his side, who frowned up at him but did not say a word. As much as she loved Harry, she could not ignore the pang of disappointment she felt. Of course, she did not understand everything around her, but the memories of her father drunkily abusing her mother with his words were flashing in her mind.

Harry did drink last night. He felt helpless and felt like he could not control this situation well. So, instead of drowning himself with his own thoughts, he turned to alcohol for some comfort. All he wanted was to forget like he never went through anything, be a normal twenty three year old man and enjoy his life. But that was a little too much to ask for, apparently.

Alex returned, breaking Harry's chain of thoughts. He smiled at her before leaning down to place a kiss on Lee's forehead. He felt like something was off about her, so he leaned down to whisper in her ear.

''What's wrong?'' He questioned, concern written all over his features as Lee frowned at him again. She stood up, grabbed his hand and dragged him to the other room.

''Where are you going?'' Alex asked, confusion evident in her tone as she watched Lee walk into the corridor.

''We'll be right back, Al.'' Harry replied and followed Lee to his room. He closed the door behind them as Lee went to sit on the edge of the bed with her bottom lip stuck out, arms tightly crossed against her chest.

''Come on, now. Tell me what's wrong.'' Harry said, crouching down in front of her so that they were at the same eye level.

''Don't turn into him, okay?'' Lee exclaimed, glaring at Harry through her glassy eyes. Harry's brows shot up in surprise, caught off guard by her harsh tone.

''Into who?''

''Don't turn into my dad. He is not a good one and you are. Please, please, don't turn out just like him.'' Lee buried her face in her petite hands, inhaling sharply.

Harry's insides twisted as he cradled the little girl in his arms, hugging her to him as he repeatedly apologized. ''I'm so sorry, Lee.'' He kissed her forehead.

She clung to his shirt, blinking away her tears. ''I love you, Harry.''

Harry smiled against her, holding her tightly as he replied. ''I love you too, Little Lee.''

***

''This is amazing,'' Harry said as he swallowed his last piece of cake. The tension in the air had disappeared, returning the smiles on their faces. Alex was glad Harry had returned like his usual self, the grin on his face mirroring Lee's. The little girl could not keep still, her usual excitement back as strong as ever.

Harry had made it clear to Lee that he would never ever hurt her or her mom, or turn into what her father is. Harry loved her a little too much to hurt her or even think about it. He was glad Lee loved him back, clear that they had occupied spaces in each other's hearts.

The previous call he had with Gemma flashed through his mind and he was reminded that no matter happened in the past, or what is to come in the future, he had Lee and Alex by his side. And that was enough to put a smile on his face and his heart to swell with hapiness. After all, Lee and Alex were the only source of light in his life, and they were slowly starting to pull him out of his dark world.

Right now, surrounded by the two people who he had grown to care about the most, he was on top of the world.

Author's note: awwww i feel so happy for harry even though this is complete fiction lol
and you guys are the sweetest humans ever!!!!! Thank you for all the feedback on last night's chapter!!! I felt special for a second haha! AND THABK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH FOR 1.8K FUCKING READS WERE ONLY TWO HUNDRED AWAH FROM 2K???THIS DOESNT FEEL REAL
How is the story going so far? Is it okay do you like it??? Please make sure to tell me everything and point out any flaws.
ah so thats it for today i think ill update in a couple of days if not tomorrow
lots of love and a yara hug xxxxx
Byeeee x