Chapter 11

I SWEAR I AM LITERALLT IN TEARS THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 900 READS I STARTED WRITING THIS LESS THAN A MONTH AGO OG MY GOD MY MOM IS STARING AT ME WHAT DO I DO ILY ALL THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH THIS MEANS THE WORLD TO ME YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW PROUD I AM ITS ALL BECAUSE OF YOU XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

   +

         "So you kicked him out?" Harry's eyebrows rose as he chewed on his cookie. Alex and Lee baked cookies after Lee ate breakfast, then called for Harry. Alex nodded at him, her eyes wandering around the kitchen. She felt ashamed of herself. She broke their promise.

"And you're both okay, right?" He questioned, nodding his head at Lee, who was watching cartoons on her Ipad. Alex nodded again, "Yeah."

"Good. That's good." Harry's face broke into a grin, dimples popping on either sides of his cheeks. Alex found herself smiling back, even though she was crumbling on the inside. She collected the plates and cups scattered around the counter and placed them in the sink. She jumped when she felt Harry's figure behind her, his lips brushing her earlobe as he whispered."I'm not stupid, Alex."

She clamped her eyes shut because they stung with tears and bit her lip to prevent herself from saying a word. She didn't know what to do.

Harry strolled away with a deep frown drawn on his face, picked up Lee and placed her on his lap. He kissed her forehead and turned her around again so that she could continue watching Brandy and Mr.Whiskers.

His jaw clenched and unclenched, last night's events flashing before his eyes. He heard it all. He heard Alex screaming at Mark, and Mark's harsh words. He heard the door slam, and Mark's loud knock on his door, as he spat out a curse. Harry wasn't stupid. He didn't reply nor did he move away from his couch. He was smarter than him, and was a firm believer that violence was not the answer. However, he couldn't ignore the feeling that was constantly taking  over him whenever Mark is around. Irritation, maybe.

He also noticed how Alex was wearing  a damn jumper when he could fry eggs on the sidewalk outside because of the heat. Alex had hurt herself again and Harry was furious. Why? Why would she ever want to do that to herself? What if she died, who will take care of Lee, and who would ever replace her?  Alex was special but she couldn't see it.

What was special about freckles and unruly hair? The dark circles around her eyes and the extra flesh around her hips? The scars that mark her skin, and the weak personality she possessed? Imperfection.

Imperfection made Alex special.

She was like a little bird that still didn't know how to fly. She felt helpless and unwanted because she was an outcast. Alex doesn't know what her future holds, but she desperately wanted it to be good. Maybe she'd be happy again, like when she was seventeen, before she met Mark who made her life hell.  Alex wanted to be happy, see colors, and actually smile.

But the thing about sad people is that they see everything in dull colors,no matter how bright they were. They yearn for a smile that is so simple, but find themselves drowning in their own tears. Sad people are people who suffer, want to be happy, and it may seem like it's far, far away, but it's close. It's always there, close, but you just have to find it.

In this situation, happiness was a curly-haired man, with way too many dark clothes and rings around his fingers. Bright eyes with a true smile, despite the pain. Dimples and laughter. Care and affection. Gentleness and a big, big heart that kind of got him into trouble, but it was okay. It was okay because kind people are the best people. You can never deny that.

Alex silently joined the two couple who had their eyes fixed on the television screen. She opened her mouth to speak but no words left her chapped lips. She sighed and sat back down.

Now what?

Lee's eyes slowly started to drop, and Harry faintly smiled because she slept way too much, but he probably was the same when he was her age so he couldn't really blame her. He placed her head on the cushions and pulled a blanket he found on the side over she small figure. He watched her fight sleep, but gave in eventually, small snores escaping her parted lips.

He sighed when he glanced at Alex, who was trying so hard to think of something wise to say. "Why'd you do it?"

Harry asked a stupid question, he knew why, but wanted to hear her say what she felt. Gosh, Alex, why did you fucking do it?

"I-I, I honestly don't know," She shook her head, blinking to stop herself from crying. "I- he was gone and I should've been happy but I, I don't know, Harry, okay? I don't know what happened!"

"I heard." He quietly said, fixing his eyes on her tired face. Oh, Alex.

Alex's lips parted in surprise before she pressed them together, a dry, sarcastic laugh escaping her mouth."He's probably right, anyway."

"He's not." Harry muttered through gritted teeth. Alex's eyes snapped to his, as if challenging him to try to prove her wrong.

"How do you know that? You don't know me." Alex argued.

"I know you enough to know that you aren't  absolutely nothing. Well, not to me at least."

"What does that mean?" Alex demanded.

"I don't know, Alex." He used her words against her. He loudly sighed and stood up from the couch. "I should leave."

"W-why?"

"You should rest, Al. Try to get some sleep, okay? I'll see you later." He squeezed her shoulder tightly before walking towards the door, slowly shutting it behind him.

+

"I don't know what to do, Gem," Harry admitted, playing with the hem of his shirt as he pressed his phone to his ear. "I mean, she's harming herself. What should I do to try to stop it?"

"Make her feel better. About the world and herself."

"How do I do that?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

"Find your own happiness, first."

"My happiness is dead." Harry said, but Lee and Alex's face flashed through his mind as soon as those words left his lips.

"Happiness is all around you, you've gotta find it, Harry. Listen, I have to go now, Mum's calling. Bye, love you."

"Bye, Gem. Say hi."

You've gotta find it.

"Seems like i've already did." He said to himself as he hauled himself up to lay down for a while. As he passed by his front door, it was confirmed that he had found it, because Alex's sadness was affecting his happiness.