Aurora Finds Out

The brisk city air had its own special way of clearing your head. Even when the city was loud and chaotic, you felt at peace on the top of those roofs. Normally, you'd go up alone, however, Leo insisted one of the brothers came with you tonight because he didn't want you to get kidnapped again. You knew you could handle yourself, but of course, Leo was always the protective big brother/leader that needed to make sure you weren't in any danger. Even he, himself, knew you were just as tough as the others, however, "you could never be too careful," he would always tell you.

   Mikey volunteered to come along with you, so it wasn't such a bad thing to have company. Staying at home all day made him restless and he wanted to do something fun or at least get out of the lair. Although he was easily distracted most of the time, he was still a great listener. It was nice to be able to vent about how you wanted to find your mother in the big, impossible city.

   "I just don't know where to start, Mikey... I know her name but... I don't know how to find her," You said as your feet dangled over the edge of the cafe roof you were both sitting on. "Falco never gave me any more information... other than the fact she hated him,"

   "Well there's always the internet, dude," he suggested.

   "Wait... you're right! God, Mikey you're a genius!"

   Mikey smirked and slicked back his invisible hair. "What can I say? Nature loves me,"

   You pulled out your phone and went online, searching up "Athena Blythe' and getting thousands of results. "So much for the internet... how am I supposed to know if she's even on here?"

   "I mean, I'm sure Donnie could–"

   A crash could be heard from the alleyway followed by a yell. You went to the edge of the roof to see what was happening, then you saw your best friend, Rory, being cornered by an older-looking man in a dark blue windbreaker.

   "L-Lo siento... no hablo inglés–,"

   "Cut the bullshit, you stupid Latina bitch. Hand over the phone, now!" He held a knife to her throat.

   Tears slid down her face as she let out a fearful whimper, then she handed him her phone. "Please, just don't hurt me,"

   "Gimme that pretty little chain around your neck too,"

   "No, please don't take my necklace! Take anything else!" She responded, clearly attached to her necklace.

   He put the knife away and threw a left hook at her face, knocking her to the ground. "Fine, I'll take it myself,"

   You instinctively began climbing down and pulled the man away from her. "The hell you are!"

   Aurora stayed still on the ground, covering herself in fear. You kept him in a choke hold and he tried to bash you against the wall, but you swung him to the ground, waiting for him to pass out.

   That was when you saw Mikey going over to Aurora, about to ask her if she was alright.

   "Mikey, no!"

   Aurora opened her dark brown eyes and they met with Mikey's baby blues. She was completely silent in shock as she realized his eyes did not belong to a human.

   "Are you okay, dudette? You took a real punch. Lemme help you up," Mikey said softly, reaching down towards Aurora's trembling figure.

   "Y-You're..." She began.

   "My brother." You went in between the two, hoping that she would look at you and trust you enough not to scream or run away.

    "Brother? I-It's a costume, right?"

   "Rory, just look at me. Take a nice deep breath and calm down,"

   "It's not a costume?!" She stood up and held the forming red bruise on her cheek.

   "Deep breath!" You reminded.

   Aurora closed her eyes and took a deep breath, trying to make sense of the situation. She opened her eyes again to see Mikey's big, goofy smile as he gave her a friendly wave. He wasn't threatening at all.

   "I know I look weird to you, but I promise I'm not gonna hurtchu," he said, sweetly. "My name's Mikey. What's yours?" He reached his hand out again, but for a handshake this time.

   "A-Aurora," she cooed.

   She hesitantly took Mikey's hand, curious about the texture of his reptilian skin. You smiled at the two and looked over her bruise. Gently, you reached out to touch it and sighed.

   "I'm sorry you had to find out about this... especially this way. I just... I saw you getting mugged and I didn't want you to get hurt,"

   You turned to look at the mugger's unconscious body and took Aurora's phone out of his pockets. Turning around, you saw that Mikey and Aurora still held hands in a handshake; she was so busy trying to comprehend the situation that she hadn't made the decision to let go of his hand yet.

   "Uhhh..." Mikey stammered, "Your hands are totally soft, dudette. (Y/n)'s are always so calloused," He said, trying to make conversation and provide a little comfort for her shocked state.

   "She doesn't climb buildings, that's why," You handed her the phone. "Aurora, are you sure you're okay?"

   "I'm fine... I just... I don't understand this whole situation, (Y/n)." She pulled her hand out of Mikey's grasp and held it with her other shaking hand.

   "It's a long story. To cut it short, he's a mutant. I grew up with him, so... he's my brother. Listen Rory, you really, REALLY can't tell anyone about this, okay? If anyone finds out, it could put all of us in danger, including you,"

   "Is this why you won't let me meet your brothers? Why you never talk about where you live?"

   "Yeah... Listen, I'm sorry I kept it from you for so long, Rory," you said, looking into her big doe eyes, "I just can't risk anyone finding out,"

   Her soft lips parted slightly as if she was going to say something else, but she closed them and smiled at the two of you.

   "Your secret's safe with me. I never thought I would meet a giant turtle with freckles," she chuckled with a little shrug.

   A warm, relieved smile stretched across your lips. "Thank you so much. I know it's a bizarre secret to keep, but it means a lot. I don't want you to get hurt,"

   Aurora tidied herself up and touched her new bruise. "A little late for that. I'm okay though. Would you mind bringing me home? I know the chances of me getting mugged again are slim, but I'd feel a lot safer if... one of you walked with me,"

   "I mean, we both could, but we'd have to travel by roof," 

   "Hey, I wouldn't mind carrying you... As long as you're not scared of heights," Mikey offered. "If you're chill with it dudette. Or (Y/n) could bring you home and I could--- Well... Actually, Leo wants us to stay together, doesn't he?"

   "Oh true! What do you say, Rory? Wanna try some rooftop travel?"

   After she hesitantly agreed, Mikey turned his back and knelt down for her to climb onto his shell and brought her home. 

((Reminder that if you still read my books and you still like them, please remember to vote so I know people still actually read these!))