Missing

Splinter's Perspective:

It was the second day of having (Y/n) stay with us. She seemed to adjust well to the new environment for now, but I knew this couldn't last for much longer. The boys will eat almost anything, but a human girl would be different. She has had many different options up on the surface, so my findings weren't the best suited for her.

I tried a little harder today to find something more nutritious. I found a coin on my walk and slipped it into my pocket, not really thinking about it consciously. I kept my hood over my face and ears and dug around in trash for breakfast. My sons seemed to enjoy getting meals from the surface for a few days, but I had hoped they wouldn't get used to it; I hated leaving them unattended so many times throughout the day.

I closed a trash can, finding nothing fresh enough for (Y/n), but in my peripherals I noticed a woman hanging up a payphone and walking away. Almost nobody else was in the street and it was still dark... Was this my chance to find help? I took a final glance at the area and quietly made my way to the payphone with my coin. Along the way, however, I noticed (Y/n)'s face taped against the side of the payphone on a missing poster.

My heart sank in my chest and I took the poster off the side and read it thoroughly. I read through the poster for a number to call as I was too hesitant to call the police in fear that they would send a whole team to search the sewers for her "kidnapper". Thankfully, a number for her mother was written on the sheet, so I called it.

I waited for an answer.

The longer it rang, the more anxious I got.

Then I finally got an answer.

"Hi!" she answered.

"Hello? This is very important-"

"It's Athena. I'm not home right now, so leave me a message after the beep, thanks so much!"

It was a recorded message.

I exhaled with disappointment, but decided to leave the message anyway. "Hello, I have found your daughter. I've kept her safe, but I really want her to be with her mother again. If you can, find me at 91st street station at 11 pm tonight. I'll have her there. I'm not asking for a trade, I just want her to go home with you. Please come alone. Goodbye."

I hung up and quickly went back into the shadows to find breakfast. The bakery I got day-olds from proved to be reliable enough for now. With my bag of baked goods, I returned to the sewers with news for the girl. Everything came as a relief to me. As much as I liked the girl, I couldn't take her in forever.

-She belongs with her mother, Yoshi.-

I snuck back into our home and met with the waking children, ready to bring them to the kitchen for breakfast. Yet again, the human girl was in my futon fast asleep, this time however, I tucked her in tight so she wouldn't wake up cold.

Today was the day. I'd have to tell her that she was going home, but I'd also have to tell her that she can't mention us *at all* to her mother. It might be hard for a child her age to keep the secret, but I have to try.

The boys began to stretch in their futons and open their eyes to the dim candlelight in the room. I knelt by them and smiled. Leonardo woke up first and reached out to me with his three fingered hands.

"Good morning, Leonardo." I gently took his hand.

"Morning, daddy," he said through yawns and smacking lips.

I followed my routine of getting his turtle children to wake up, but let (Y/n) take a little while longer. I was going to keep her up tonight when bringing her to her mother. She needed the rest.