Chapter 5

'Can somebody give me one of the skewers over there?'
'Here you go

'Can somebody give me one of the skewers over there?'

'Here you go.'

The barbeque is going well. While you, Leon, Hop and Gloria try out all sorts of grilled delicacies, your Pokémon play joyfully by themselves. Grookey and Scorbunny play tag, Eevee hides in Wooloo's wool and Sobble makes small hats out of leaves for whatever reason.

'(Y/N), from what town or city are you from? From Wyndon maybe?', Hop asks with the same smile that always rests on his lips.

'You wouldn't know the town I am from. I am only visiting Galar temporarily.'

Gloria support herself with the table lazily. 'And what if you win the Gym Challenge? You can't just ditch your responsibilities as a Champion.'

'...I didn't think that far. Guess that I will have to cross out the temporarily part then.'

'I am looking forward to that battle... with any of you three of course.', Leon scratches his head.

Gloria smirks. 'Looks like someone already has a favorite---'

'Nah, if I were Leon I would be cheering for Hop. Leon has no reason to cheer for me.'

'How about we settle this in a fight then?', Hop joins the conversation with a with marshmallows stuffed mouth.

You look confused. 'How exactly does a fight settle this?'

'We can see who is stronger and more likely to challenge my big brother. I do need to see how suitable you are as a rival. Besides, this is also a good way to train!'

Due to the hopeful expression on Hop's face you can't refuse his request. 'Fine, but only because of your puppy eyes. Eevee, Grookey, lets show them what we got!'

You and Hop take up a stand on the opposite ends of the fighting field in the yard of Hop's family.

Leon on the other hand positions himself in the center of it. 'In that case I will serve as the referee. Both of you, believe in your Pokémon and care for them, too, with all your heart! Then let's do this!'

'I'll show you what I have learned from Lee. I know exactly what to do in order to win! Go Wooloo!'

'If he starts with Wooloo I probably should choose Eevee. My Grookey has an advantage against his Sobble.'

'Eevee, it's time for your first battle!'

After a rather long battle in the darkness of the night you can claim the first victory in your life. Eevee didn't manage to uphold a long fight as it still is very young, but Grookey on the other hand beat it's opponents with ease.

Hop sighs a bit depressed and picks up his beaten Sobble. 'Guess I know now why Lee seems to favor you so much... Even though I lost I still feel somewhat energized after seeing you battle.'

Gloria and her Scorbunny both munch on a sweet corn, but their eyes are completely fixed on you. 'Yep, (Y/N) totally earned the victory. You are tougher than you appear to be. I look forward to the day I can fight against you, though your Eevee really needs some training.'

'Both of your Pokémon gave their best. Made me almost want to let out Charizard and join in on all the fun!', Leon smiles.

'...And was it good enough to get a letter of endorsement? This isn't supposed to sound greedy or something, but technically you did promise me one if I fight with your brother.'

For a moment the Champion tries to recall the memory when he said that. 'Did I? Well, I wanted to to give you one anyways so I guess that it doesn't make a difference.'

'Is he that absent-minded that he already forgot that? This paired with his sense of orientation... Since he is the Champion there should be a genius hidden in the chaos...'

'And what about me?', Hop pouts.

'I want to see all of you three fight, so I want to see you fight again, but this time against Gloria. She needs a fair chance to prove herself too.'

Smiling confident the said girl throws the inedible remnant of her sweet corn into a nearby bin. 'I will make sure to use that chance.'

'But for today you all should rest, It is almost midnight and you all are still celebrating as if you just started.', Gloria's mother interrupts.

'Is it really that late? I guess we do need to sleep properly if we want to go on a journey.'

'That's the spirit Hop.'

You raise your hand cautiously. 'And where am I supposed stay overnight? Sleeping outside sounds a bit... freezing.'

'You can sleep in our house. It has been ages since I had a sleepover.', Gloria proposes.

'But Gloria, your house is way smaller than ours. It would be easier for us to provide (Y/N) some comfortable space. And the reason why there was no sleepover in your house for a long time is because you always play pranks on your guests.', Hop counters.

'That was when we were kids. I am a mature woman now.' When she sees Hop staring at her in a doubting way she adds. 'At least I wouldn't play any pranks on (Y/N). They are nice and don't seem as gullible as you Hop.'

'Actually I would agree with Hop. We do have more space. Besides, I am the one who brought them here. It would not champion-like to burden you with the need of providing a place to sleep for them. Or why don't we let (Y/N) decide? I whose house do you want to stay this night?'

 Or why don't we let (Y/N) decide? I whose house do you want to stay this night?'

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!