Chapter 9

Together with Leon you stand in front of a display that shows the whole menu

'They have all sorts of food and drinks. Coffe, tea, Old Gateaus, beans, toast and many more. What do you want?'

'How much... does it cost?'

'I don't think that it costs too much. Why do you ask?'

'Because my financial resources are... limited. Do you think that this feather is worth something?', you answer and pull the item you previously found out of your pocket.

Leon takes it into his hand to observe it. 'Maybe 300 to 400 Pokédollar? If you want I can pay for you. That's no problem at all.'

'Nope, that's out of the question. I am not going to take other people's money.', you shake your head resolutely.

'And starve together with your Pokémon even before reaching Engine City?', Gloria points at your companions that are mesmerized by the smell of food.

'Yeah, how are you supposed to fight if everyone is malnourished? That way you won't become even a small thread for Lee! It's the responsibility of a trainer to look after their Pokémon.', Hop joins in.

'I am responsible for other beings’ life...'

'Fine... but only because of my Pokémon.', you give in.

'Then choose whatever your heart desires.'

Having chosen your dinner for this evening, your group gets round the table which was previously used for gambling. In terms of food you found something that you like that isn't overprized, though the cost of your meal shot up because Hop, Gloria and Leon all decided to buy you some extra-sweets. Now you have two packages of Sweet Hearts and one Lava Cookie.

'You guys are unbearable kind.'

Gloria smirks. 'Then we will suffocate you with love until you accept it.'

'Minus the suffocation-part though.', Hop mumbles while taking a bite out of his sandwich.

'Nope, that is a crucial part of the plan.'

'What else to expect of the demonic grandmother...'

'Anyways, (Y/N), I think I can guess why that Nickit was so desperate to come with you. It appears that it was starving to death just like you.', Leon points at the small fox.

In the circle where all the Pokémon sit, most of the bowls are at least half-full. Since Nickit is the only one who isn't next to its bowl, you can assume that the bites the thief steals from Leon's Charizard are an extra-portion that it certainly shouldn't eat if it doesn't want to become nauseous afterwards.

'Nickit no! Stop! That's not your food, so leave it be!', you try to pull it away and succed in it, but in return you get countless scratches all over your face. Now, everyone present, humans and Pokémon alike, has to do their best to part you and the furious fox.

Three minutes later, the furrball is wrapped up in Hop's jacket and you are curled up on the ground and left with a bloodied face.

'This a far more realistic portrayal of how Pokémon usually treat me. My lucky streak has been going on for too long. This agony.'

Gloria puts her hand cautiously on your shoulder. '(Y/N), are you somehow alive? Say Bible if yes.'

'Bi-...ble?'

The brunette sighs in relief.

'I'll get them to Nurse Joy. Charizard?', you hear Leon say and shortly after that your body is lifted up from the ground. The hot breath of the F
Fire-Type tickles the wounds on your cheeks.

Together with the help of Nurse Joy's Chansey our face is quickly patched up. Besides some bandages and band-aids no evidence of the scratches is left. After having thanked for the help, you leave the emergency room. Familiar faces that have waited outside greet you and the two Pokémon that actually belong to you jump ito your arms.

'Aw, I have missed you too, my adorable little angels.' The sincere that you offer makes everyone's heart surrounding you melt.

'So precious... Must protect at all cost.'

You look around and try to find a reddish-brown speck of fur. 'Hm... Did the Nickit leave?'

'No, we threw it out of the Pokémon Center. You can't expect us to actually keep something that wants to endanger your life just because of some food.', Leon answers.

'Maybe it only had a bad day...'

Gloria shakes her head. 'That doesn't justify it. Not every Pokémon is meant to live alongside humans. Leave it there where you found it and both of you are going to feel better.'

'Goodbye Nickit. It was a short hate-relationship we had...'

Hop steps closer and observes your face. 'Does your face hurt less at least?'

'Yes, it hurts by far less. Thank you for asking.'

'Then we can get going, right Lee?'

'If we want to make it in time, yes. Though this time it is probably wiser to go together to avoid any... delays.'

Gloria grabs your arm. 'Then lets go!'

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!