ii. the outer banks

In the Outer Banks, things had their way of getting out. Especially if your family is one of the richest on the Figure Eight. 

Maelynn and Sarah Cameron never meant to get caught up in one of the biggest heists ever pulled on the island, but with the wit and charm of two pogue boys, they found themselves betraying just about everything they had ever been taught. 

Except one thing: love with everything you've got.

ミ⛧ ミ⛧ ミ⛧ 

It really all started at that stupid beach party they crashed. 

Here they were, kooks with too much money, crashing a pogue party and not expecting shit. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Understandable that it had been Rafe's idea. Those were never well thought out. 

Maelynn was hesitant at first. It wasn't exactly her first choice of activities. Parties tended to be Topper and Rafe's type of scene, but not the twins'. Once they were old enough and Sarah started seeing Topper they went more. Again, still wasn't Maelynn's favourite thing ever. But she endured the drunk idiots and smell of alcohol for her siblings' sakes. And Topper's. 

Topper and Maelynn had been friends as long as Rafe and Topper had known each other. They had never liked each other romantically - those feelings were saved for her sister. Instead they treated each other like siblings and got into shenanigans together. That was how Sarah and Top had started going out in the first place. Maelynn gave Sarah a whole sex talk, too. It was mildly mortifying. 

It had been Topper who finally convinced Maelynn to go to the party at all. He had sent a picture of Sarah looking beautiful and a sad face emoji. She caved and threw on a skirt before heading to Sarah's room. 

'I hate you both,' she said upon her arrival. 

'Love you, too,' Topper replied with a smile. 

She scoffed and made a face at him before staring out the window. Call her Ariel, but sometimes she longed for so much more. Not more money; God knows she had enough of that. More adventure and exciting things in her life that actually made it worth living. But for now, she'd settle for having more money than she knew what to do with and a vacation home in the Bahamas. 

'You look nice, Sarah.'

Her sister smiled. That freaking smile. It could get any man - or woman, sometimes - at her feet in seconds. 

'Thanks, M. You look pretty too.'

Bullshit, but still nice of her to say. Maelynn was wearing the first thing she had seen on her floor. It was an all white number - white skirt, white tanktop, white slip because the skirt was incredibly see-through. 

'You do.'

Maelynn smiled. 'Sure, sure.'

Sarah turned to her boyfriend with a huff. 'Topper, back me up here.'

'You do look nice, Maelynn.'

'Okay.'

Sarah sighed and went back to swiping her mascara on. 'How are you so fucking stubborn?'

'Runs in the family, S.'

'I'm not!'

Maelynn gave her twin a look that meant, we both know that's not true. Sarah just grinned at her in the mirror.