xix. my girl

Maelynn raced through the crowd of people to get to her father. He was whispering something in one of the officers' ear about Sarah - she could see him mouthing her name. She pushed and shoved and wormed her way through until she was beside them. 

'Rafe killed Peterkin,' she panted. Her heart was pounding from both the run and the severity of the confession. 'Not John B.'

'I give you her twin, Maelynn,' Ward gestured grandly to his other daughter. 'Bipolar as well, I'm afraid. Though not attached to the same one as Sarah.'

'Huh?'

Ward gave his daughter a chilling smile. 'No, from what I've seen and heard, she's got the Maybank boy wrapped around her little finger.'

The officer turned to her. 'You don't want to be mixing up with them.'

'Screw you.'

'Ah, ah, ah,' he shook his head. 'You've got quite a mouth, haven't you? I'll need you to come with me. I've got some questions to ask you.'

'I don't want to answer your stupid questions when we both know full well that the outcome is already decided.'

'Let's try anyway. Ward?'

Her father grabbed her by the arm and pulled her to his truck. 'Let's go.'

They sat in silence for almost half the drive. Maelynn toyed with her hair, then JJ's sweats, then her own fingers, until she finally burst out, 'Why are you doing this?'

Ward looked over at her in surprise. 'Doing what?'

'Punishing me.'

'Well, you have been lying about where you were and sleeping with a boy. And not to mention the fact that you broke a promise and snuck out all in one go. Can you really blame me, Maelynn?'

'Yes. Yes, I most certainly can.'

'Explain.'

She turned so she could see his face. 'Maybe if things weren't so dire, I wouldn't feel the need to stay with him and protect him every waking hour of the day. Maybe if I didn't think I'd be a disappointment no matter what I do, I'd tell you when I found a boy I love. Maybe if you all weren't such prejudiced assholes, I'd tell you I was dating a pogue. I'd introduce you to the best person in my life. I'd show you all that I'm not worthless, that someone finally found something in me they could love.'

'You're not unlovable, Maelynn. It hurts me that you'd think you are.'

'Really?' she demanded. 'Really? Because the only person in the house who's made me feel loved no matter what is Wheezie. With everyone else, I'm too sensitive, I'm too stubborn, I'm not subborn enough, I'm childish, I'm not as good as Sarah, I should be more like Sarah, it's all my fault, I can't please anyone, and I'll never be anything.'

'Why would you ever think that?'

'Because every single one of you has said at least one of those things to me!' she yelled. 'Did you even think of how damaging that would be to a little girl? I just wanted you all to love me.'

'We did- we do,' he insisted. 'And it's not our fault you took those things to heart. You should have a thicker skin.'

'You're doing it right now!'

He slammed his hand down on the steering wheel. 'Stop yelling at me, or so help me, Maelynn Jane! I will lock you in your room for the rest of your life if this keeps up!'

'You stole my fucking door! Rafe broke my bathroom door! You don't believe in barring up windows!'

'That may change now,' he stated calmly. 'And I'll have a chat with your brother about the door. But after these questions, you're coming home, and you're staying there until I say so.'