xx. mrs maybank

The next few days went by excruciatingly slow. The only time Maelynn left the Chateau was to withdraw all of her money from her bank account. It was a precaution against her father cutting her off financially. 

Other than that, she and JJ just hung around. She got high for the first time the day after the accident, and skinny dipped for the first time then as well. It was a shitty idea and felt gross. The water by the Chateau wasn't ideal for much, naked swimming being one of the things. That was one thing she was happy to cross off her bucket list. 

Call her paranoid, but two days after the accident, she started to feel like something was going to go wrong. Maybe it was the fact that her twin had just died and her whole family had pretty much turned their backs on her, but it wasn't something she had ever felt before. 

'JJ?'

He looked up from the food she had made for breakfast. It was Pop Tarts. Very classy. 'Yeah?'

'We should get married.'

'Huh?'

She smiled. 'You have a fake ID, right?'

'...Yes.'

'I do, too. We should get married.'

'Mae,' he reached across the table for her hands. 'I would love nothing more than to marry you, but we have no time to plan and barely enough money.'

'I don't want anything fancy. Just a dress and some sort of ring.'

'Are you sure?'

She nodded. 'Of course I'm sure!'

He smiled and came around the table, kneeling on the floor and grabbing her hands. 'Maelynn Jane Cameron, will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?'

She grinned and leaned her forehead against his. 'Yes.'

They both stood up and kissed. It was one of the happiest kisses she had ever received from him, and only the second time she had really smiled for a few days. It was nice. 

'We're gonna get married!' he cheered as he picked her up and spun around. She laughed and held on for dear life. 

'We're getting married.'

ミ⛧ ミ⛧ ミ⛧

They spent a few hours wandering the island in search of an appropriate dress for Maelynn. JJ was going to re-wear his tux from Midsummers. They looked and looked, but they somehow couldn't manage to find anything. She settled on her dress from Midsummers as well, which she had somehow managed to get from her house. It wasn't exactly your traditional wedding dress, but this wasn't really a traditional wedding. Nothing about their relationship was exactly traditional. 

Maelynn bought some mascara and a better facewash while they were out, as well as a hairbrush and other toiletries the Chateau was lacking in. JJ watched as she browsed through the different products. He later explained that he was confused about the difference between them all. She just laughed and told him not to worry about it. 

'None of it even makes sense to me; I just used whatever Sarah told me to use.'

'Ah.'

They went straight back home and got all spiffed up - each took a shower and got in their nice clothes. Maelynn let her hair dry a little and then tucked the front pieces back before putting her dress and makeup on. JJ admitted that he didn't understand the bowtie and had made a waiter at Midsummers help him with it. Maelynn chuckled and did it up quickly.