vi. beach bitch

Maelynn was woken for the second time that morning by Wheezie leaping onto her bed and jumping all over her. 

'Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!'

'Get off of me, you rat-child!' Maelynn groaned as she rolled over. Wheezie sat on her knees and watched as her sister opened her eyes and peered over at her. 'Why are you in here? What time is it?'

'We have to go help clean up the beach, remember?' Wheezie looked confused. Maelynn was usually very organized and on top of things. It was weird to see her out of it. 

Maelynn shot up. 'Shit!'

'Topper and Kelce already came to get Sarah, but dad said to let you sleep so they're already gone. Dad said he'll drive the rest of us there.'

'Good, 'cause I left my truck at my friends' place.'

Wheezie tilted her head. 'What friend?'

'Kiara Carrera.'

'You're friends with a pogue?'

'She's technically a kook,' Maelynn murmured. 'And anyway, yeah, we're friends.'

'Cool. Do you have a boyfriend now?'

'No.'

Wheezie gestured at JJ's shirt. 'Then where's that from?'

'Secondhand store. I went a couple of days ago.'

'It smells like weed.'

Maelynn laughed. 'How do you know what weed smells like? You're supposed to be my utterly innocent baby sister!'

'I'm not stupid, Maelynn.'

'That's questionable.'

She threw a pillow at her older sister, making her laugh and catch her in a big hug. They rolled over Maelynn's bed a little before landing on the floor in a pile of pillows and limbs. Ward and Rose could hear them from downstairs. Rose rolled her eyes at their childishness - even though Wheezie still was a child - while Ward smiled. 

'You need to get a grip on them,' Rose said quietly. 'They're a little unruly.'

'We live on a small island, Rose. They're teenagers. Let them live their childhoods out for as long as they can.'

Rose rolled her eyes but left it alone, continuing to cut up strawberries for brunch. Ward kept reading until he could hear Wheezie and Maelynn coming closer to the kitchen. 

'Girls! Get ready to leave first!'

There was a loud groan from the oldest and some stomping. Then Wheezie appeared from the stairs and came to sit with her dad and stepmom. 

'How's Maelynn doing?'

'She's in a good mood.'

'That's good. Sarah isn't the happiest. She could use a little cheeriness from her sisters.'

'Who said I'm in a good mood?'

Ward chucked her under the chin with his pointer finger. 'You're smiling. I say that's pretty good.'

mei-mei
wheeze said top & kk got u
yall cleaning already

sarah beara
half drinking half cleaning
where were u last night

mei-mei
i was out w kiara and her boys
they needed a little help
and then we got drinking and i couldnt drive home
so i slept over
im gonna need top 2 take me 2 get my truck