chapter 8

Maia

"So you're going on a date this Wednesday?" Sloane asked, laying on my bed on her stomach with her chin resting on her hands and her feet propped up in the air as she watches me organize my closet.

I decided to tell her this morning in case she wanted to make plans with me this week. When she heard about it, she couldn't shut up at all, and this is probably her fifth time asking me; still in disbelief. I don't blame her. She was my only friend that stuck by me, and she's happy that I'm finally making new ones. She's probably just sick of my shit but won't admit it.

"Sloane, you've asked me about this a thousand times." I groaned, throwing my hands in the air out of frustration.

"And please, it's not a date!" I added, rolling my eyes at her.

"We're two people who are casually meeting in person and having a cup of coffee in the morning," explaining to my best friend.

"That doesn't sound like a date to you, hon?" She mumbled, raising her eyebrow at me.

"Jesus, Sloane friends can't go out together nowadays?" I asked with a hint of annoyance, folding my arms in front of my chest.

"Whatever floats your boat, Maia." She giggled.

"What do you even wear on these types of occasions anyway?" I asked as I scanned my wardrobe, hands on
Hips.

"Why should it matter? It's just your friend who you are meeting, remember?" She smirked.

"You know what? Forget I asked." I scoffed.

"Just dress comfortably, M." Sloane said as she laid on her back, grabbing the magazine next to her now reading.

•••

It was Wednesday now; I woke up much more early than I expected, and no, It wasn't out of excitement. It's maybe because I'm starting to get nervous as the time almost neared nine. I took my time to get ready for the day to ease my nerves, but it wasn't helping at all.

Jeez, Maia, relax. It's not like you're meeting up with a freakin celebrity.

I applied light makeup and left my hair to its long, wavy state. I decided to wear my maroon polka-dot sweetheart neck dress that sat right above my knee and paired it with my white heeled ankle-strapped sandals. It wasn't that bad. It didn't scream, "you're trying too hard." I wanted to give a good impression and not let him think I'm some sleaze bag or something. I looked at the time and saw that it was eight fifty. I grabbed my keys and wore my white channel sling bag, and wrote a quick note to Sloane, who was still asleep in her bedroom.

will be back in a few hours there's frozen pizza in the fridge - love maia x

I placed it on the fridge and left locking our door. Knowing my best friend, she can't cook shit, and with her alone in the house, there's a good chance she might burn the place down. It's not like it hasn't happened before.

Nine thirty-five rolled up, and I got out of my Uber and waited under the shade of the tree in front of a small coffee shop I wasn't familiar with; it was called "Sip and Snack." It looks nice and cozy though it wasn't that crowded, and it looked a bit old with its chipped-off brick wall exterior, which gave off that chill and relaxed vibe. I looked around to see if Drew was already here, but he was nowhere to be seen. I messaged him a while ago, saying I was almost near. It seems like he's running late good thing it was a bit windy today, so I didn't have to sweat my ass off.