chapter 19

Maia

The whole ride consisted of Drew and me running through our possible scenarios and getting our stories straight so they wouldn't see past our lies. It was around noon, and our Uber stopped at my oh-so-familiar home. It was a two-story house painted with a blue exterior, dark grey roof, white shutters, and a patio. Nostalgia floods through me as I remember sneaking late at night with Sloane off to the waterfronts laying on our backs as we watch the stars twinkle at night talking about our plans for the future. It's been ages since I last visited home, and It feels good to be back.

We paid the driver goodbye as Drew and I started walking down the walkway. I glance at our garage, and Dad's car was there, which means everybody was waiting for us inside. We reached ourselves in front of my patio, stopping in front of the door looking at each other.

"And action." He teased.

I rolled my eyes at him in response as I knocked on the door, waiting for someone to respond. It took a few seconds as the door swung open, revealing my Mom wide-eyed as she took us in. She was in her apron and hair tied up.

"Oh, my baby! You're home!" She cooed as she took my face in her hands, squishing them in the process as she peppered kisses all over me.

"Jesus, mom, stop," I whined, trying to get out of her grip.

"And you must be Drew!" She beamed, looking up at him in awe. I know mother, handsome, right?

"It's very nice to meet you, Mrs. Brown." He grinned as he held his hand out, shaking my mothers.

"Oh, please! Call me Nancy!" Giving her the brightest smile, still shaking his hand.

"Where's Dad?" I asked.

"Come in; He's inside watching his shows on TV." She said, rolling her eyes leaving us as she walked towards the living room, probably giving Dad a heads up. We left our luggage in the hallway as we entered the living room to see Dad sitting on his lazy boy, feet propped up and a can of root beer in his hand. Mom swatted Dad's head, signaling that we're here as he was too busy to notice us. He turned his head at Mom, glaring at her while he rubs the back of his head, easing the pain, but she nodded in our direction and headed back into the kitchen. Dad looked over and was wide-eyed, giving me a huge grin.

"My Maia! You're finally here!" Dad beamed as he put his beer down, giving me a big bear hug.

"Hi, Dad," I said, hugging him back as I let out a small laugh while he squishes me on his chest.

"Who's this?" He asked, confused as he motioned a hand at Drew.

"Dad, this is Drew, my boyfriend," I said, wrapping my hands around his bicep smiling up at him. It felt bizarre saying that, yet it also felt weird trying to be all touchy with this guy, but now is not the time to act like "friends" and be his "girlfriend" instead.

"It's nice to meet you, Sir," Drew said as he gave him his charming smile holding out his hand, waiting for my Dad to shake it.

"Hm. So you're the one my daughter's been dating, huh?" He asked, narrowing his eyes at him as he shook Drew's hand.

"Yes, that would be me." Drew chuckled nervously, putting his hands in his pockets as he took a sec to glance down at me.