chapter 16

Maia

"Are you sure you don't wanna come?" I asked, looking at Sloane, who was busy painting her toenails. She wondered what color suited her more, Red or Yellow, and I said go for Yellow since it fits today's season, but of course, she decided on the other one.

"Nope, I might have to pass." She mumbled as she paints her nails, tongue sticking out on focus.

"Drew said you could come," I replied as I check my outfit, straitening it in front of my mirror. I was wearing dad shorts with my green plaid button-up blouse and my white bikini top underneath it.

"I know, but I made plans." She sighed.

"Don't tell me this plan involves you getting wasted again," I said sternly, scowling at her.

"Chill out, M. I'm not." She replied defensively as she switched on her other toe.

"I'm hanging out with someone today." She added, looking up at me smiling.

"Do I know—"

"No, you don't know him." She cut me off.

I gasped, realizing she was hanging out with a guy later. She never hangs out with guys unless they're hooking up. "Are you going on a date?" I squeal as I plopped right next to her causing her to mess up her toes.

"Damn, Maia, be careful!" She groaned as she tried to shove me to her side with her elbow.

"And no, it's not a date." She mumbled, avoiding eye contact.

"You're lying, just say it. You're bad at lying." I teased.

"And so what if it's a date?" She asked defensively, throwing her hands in the air out of frustration.

I squeal, eyes flashing with excitement. "Oh my God! my best friend has a boyfriend that's so cute!" I said as I attacked her with a hug.

Sloane groaned as she tried to pry me off of her. "Shut up, Maia. He is not my boyfriend."

"Whatever you say." I singsonged.

"Shut up before I rip your hair out." She rolled her eyes. Annoyed.

Sloane doesn't really date and commit to people, so it makes me really excited for her that she is and that she's slowly opening up to other people. I just hope this doesn't end very badly and that this "guy" will take care of her because I do know how to throw a punch if that's ever needed.

•••

Hours past we finally arrived at our destination. I rode with Drew, Austin, and Madison while the others were with Chase. The beach wasn't that crowded, which was perfect because that means a little privacy for them so they wouldn't get swarmed by fans.

We got out of Drew's car and met with the others in the middle as we set out towels for us to tan on, and the boys set the coolers full of beer down; they even bought their net from Spikeball, so we could all have fun with it later except for Madelyn, she sucks at Spikeball, is what they say.

I left the guys to set up their stuff as I walked towards the ocean, dipping my feet. The beach looked beautiful today with its deep blue sea as the sunlight making the sand sparkle like tiny jewels. I closed my eyes as the wind blew lightly at my face, hearing the waves crashing against the shore.