Chapter Fourteen - LINH

There were three kinds of noise that stole Linh's attention, and despite a whole day of effort, she could not capture it again.

One was the Waywards. They seemed to have taken the chaos of their surroundings and eaten it, for lessons were short-lived and chatter renewed.

The second noise was the humans. Their campsites littered Merrowmarsh, black scars against an even blacker forest.

Then there was the river—roaring, tempting, calling. It was freedom, and yet Linh did not go to it. She could not—not with silver-blue eyes, flecked with hope, filling her every thought.

It was metaphorical, really; her between the water and the campsites. Stuck. Forced to choose, and yet not brave enough to make that choice.

Humans? Or freedom?

Tam? Sophie? Wylie?

Or me?

"Today we are going to perform the degrading task of getting wet," Coach Isik sighed, slouching in his red cloak as he picked at the dirt under his fingernails.

Coach Zeura matched his huffy attitude, though hers was directed at him rather than the universe. "What Coach Isik means to say is that you will each be testing how long you can hold your breath."

"But we went in the water yesterday!" a Wayward whined. Linh was fairly certain it wasn't a human; they were still too nervous to speak out against their teachers.

"Yes, but that was for body temperature regulation," Coach Zeura said. "Besides, we're limited to what natural resources we can work with, seeing as how the humans keep taking up our space in the Neutral Territories."

Linh's heart broke at the human children's terrified faces, but before she could defend them, a girl with purple-streaked hair and a round face stepped forward.

"It's not their fault," she said, nodding toward the Waywards behind her. "And it's not their parents' fault either, for wanting to be safe."

"Get back in line, Stormy," Coach Zeura huffed. "This isn't the time for disobedience."

"Alas!" Coach Isik wailed. "For disobedience is the only mildly entertaining activity around here!"

Stormy rolled her sky-blue eyes. "And is rising up against the Council disobedience as well?"

Coach Zeura's pale cheeks darkened. "What are you implying, child?"

"I'm not implying anything. It was just a question. There is a rebel group running around, you know. Anyone could be a part of it. Councillor Bronte. Me. You. After all, no one knows what the members really look like."

"Stop your talk this instant!"

Stormy's expression morphed into what could only be called indignation: nostrils flared, eyebrow raised, lips pursed. "Uh, no."

Linh stepped forward, grabbing Zeura's blue sleeve to catch her attention. Zeura's eyes flicked to hers, and Linh said—slowly, calmly, "Maybe we should do the exercises?"

There was a moment in which Zeura looked like she wanted to argue, but eventually she yanked her cape out of Linh's grasp and harrumphed. "Yes, I suppose we should do that. Waywards, take off your cloaks and boots, as well as any personal items you don't want lost in the river. Hurry now! Coach Isik will show you the proper procedure!"

"Oh, must I?" Isik whined.

Linh turned away from her fellow Coaches as they started to bicker, instead watching the Waywards hesitantly do what Coach Zeura had ordered.