Chapter Thirty-Three - TAM

That night he didn't sleep at all. Every time he drifted off he heard Marella's screams, felt his guilt, until he jerked awake for the process to start all over again.

The next morning she wouldn't look at him. Every time he moved toward her—even a sleep-deprived stumble—she would jump and shuffle away. Every time his shadows came to life, she would go still. She wouldn't look at him, but she would look for him. As if there were no doubt in her mind he would attack again.

But he hadn't attacked her. The shadowflux had. It wasn't his fault.

Except you couldn't control it. You should've been able to control it.

They were waiting in the commons of a new house. Marella kept fidgeting—probably thinking of ways to prevent Tam from ruining this debate—but she was also subdued. Sophie hadn't talked all morning, and Tam wasn't about to start any conversations. So the trio silently waited until the dirt wall crumbled, leaving a round hole in the wall that Gorku climbed out of. "Ready?"

No one answered, but they followed him anyway. He didn't know what Tam's shadows had done to Marella. Sophie was sure it was a fluke, that Tam just needed to practice more, that this mission had prevented them all from doing so and they'd have a training session when they got back.

But Tam knew she was wrong. Something was happening with his ability. He didn't know what or why or how, but he knew it had to be fixed. Before he could hurt anyone again.

As they walked back the way they had come the night before, Tam noticed the beady eyes turning their way, watching them, waiting to see what would happen.

Did they know what the elves were trying to do? Did they know about the Purities?

Were any of them working for the wrong side?

As Tam stared back, their faces elongated into horrors. He saw eyes, white eyes, the Neverseen's eyes. But there were masks and soundless noises and, worst of all, his own face, pupils bleeding darkness as shadows poured out of them.

He turned away, swallowed, pushed the sights out of his mind.

"We're here." Gorku stopped before a tall, broken building. It was the one Sophie had said was the theatre. "Queen Nubiti will be inside. Walk in, but stay on the straight path. If you stray, you will be lost to the darkness."

"Oh, great—just when I thought things were starting to look up in this depressing place," Marella muttered, stepping inside first. Sophie followed, and then it was Tam and Gorku.

Gorku placed a hand on Tam's arm to stop him from entering. "Wait. I need to speak with you." Tam's heart pounded so intensely he was sure Gorku could hear it. If the dwarf did, he didn't give it away. "How did you manage to mask the magsidian from dwarven senses? It should be impossible."

Tam couldn't ignore the relief he felt—So he hasn't found out about the attack. "I told you—it must have been the shadowflux. And coming here. I... don't exactly have fond memories of this place."

Gorku eyed his shadows. "What you do... Your power... It's unlike anything a Shade has ever done before. Even for my eye, you are almost too dark to see. Your shadowflux, as you call it, conceals. Not only the pendant or your physical body, but it conceals your pain."

"What are you talking about?" But even as he said it, Tam's shadows drew out of him, pulsing, defending. "I'm not trying to do anything—they won't listen to me."

"You're losing control. But not only of the shadowflux. You're losing yourself, and in that process you are ruining yourself."

"But I don't know what's lost! I don't know what I'm doing wrong... That's the problem! I don't know!"