Chapter Twenty-Eight - MARELLA

Marella didn't know if she preferred Ride By Death Worm or Wade Through Stinky Sludge. So far, she decided she had taken light leaping and teleporting for granted. She'd choose jumping off a cliff any day over whatever this was.

"Are we almost there?" she whined, straining her thigh muscles to take another step forward. The brown... stuff that made up the Entrance to Loamnore—or whatever it was called—was thick and sticky, which only made it ten times more gag-worthy.

"You sound like Stina did when Team Valiant first came here," Sophie laughed, having a much easier time reaching the exact center of the quagmire (which was apparently where they were supposed to be).

Seriously, why do the dwarves have to be so specific?

Also, why did she have to get compared to Stina Heks? That was just rude.

"I hate to be obnoxious," she said—Tam snorted from behind her, as if to say, Too late—"but I have to repeat myself here: why didn't we use that fancy starlight that allows you to leap underground? Or, better yet, ask a dwarf to dig us a tunnel into the throne room like last time?"

"Last time there were special circumstances," Sophie mumbled. "And besides, with the questionable loyalty of certain dwarves, Nubiti doesn't allow just anyone to tunnel into the throne room."

"Right, right, paranoid furry creatures and all," Marella huffed. "And don't think I didn't notice how you and this queen are on a first-name basis too."

Sophie stopped, having reached the entrance, and turned to roll her eyes at Marella. "I don't get why it matters so much. Nubiti was my old bodyguard. I call her by her name. So what?"

"Don't you think it's weird that she's your so-called friend, yet you have to make a trip to convince her to be on your side? Makes you wonder where her loyalties lie." She raised her hands when Sophie shot her a glare. "Hey—you said it yourself: the dwarves have questionable loyalty."

"Not questionable," Sophie argued. "That was the wrong word. Just... fluctuating?"

"Either way, I'm right."

Tam shouldered past Marella. "Pick up the pace," he muttered. "I'm ready to get this over with."

"What's got you so sulky?" Marella grumbled, twisting her shoulders to give her extra momentum through the mud.

"I'm not sulking," Tam snapped.

"Oh, is this where you say you're brooding or whatever? Should I call you Mr. Edgelord now? Tam McBroodyBangs?"

"Do you ever shut up?"

"Only if I want to." Marella stuck her tongue out at him, which ended up being a bad idea when the hot stench of the swamp filled her mouth. She never thought she'd be able to taste a smell, but she wasn't sure how else to describe what happened in that moment. It was like she was swallowing heat and camel poo and whatever else was in this forsaken pool.

As she cough-gag-cursed, Tam and Sophie circled a particularly deep section of the mud bath. "Close your eyes, hold your breath, and don't open your mouth," Sophie explained. "Also, pointing your toes makes it go faster."

This stinks, Marella thought, then paused. Huh, no pun intended.

She dove the rest of the way, having given up on the plan to keep her upper torso clean. When she straightened, she saw Tam tense—even more than he already was.

"Hey," Sophie said, nudging him a little. "You okay?"

Marella decided to not mention how Sophie had been super sulky too ever since she'd come back from her meeting with Queen Hylda, so her question could just as easily be turned right back on her. Besides, it wasn't like Marella was living the sparkly alicorn dream either.