Chapter Forty-Six - JENSI

When Jensi, Amy, and Jeri glittered onto the swampy fields of Everfalls, the battle had already started. Jensi saw Purities swarming from behind slabs of rock, away from the waterfalls they'd hidden behind and toward only one.

Nhyontuitouffhtoea. The Fountain of Youth—so Amy called it.

It was even more breathtaking in person. Two rocks, black as obsidian, protruded from the earth like spires from a buried castle. Between them, flowing from down the cliffside, foamy white water ran in a smooth stream and gathered into a large pool at the base.

Two elves were crouched there, one releasing sparks from her hands—Maruca—and the other flexing her fingers then shaking her head. That had to be Linh.

Defending the waterfall were Sophie, Wylie, Prentice, and the previous Collective. Even Councillors Bronte and Alina were here.

How did they know? Jensi wondered, but he didn't have time to worry about it. His gaze was, instead, locked on the Purities. Now he knew they were human, so much of his perception had changed.

"I'm ashamed to say I could know them," Amy whispered from beside him.

Jeri snorted. "I'm not. What are we waiting here for anyway, acting like a bunch of dreamlilies in a field in the middle of nowhere—BORING. Let's show them Purities what fire really looks like!"

She skipped forward with her fists raised, but Jensi grabbed her cloak and pulled her back. He was starting to regret bringing her along. "What fire?"

Her answer was swallowed by the shouts of alarm coming from his friends as a Purity barreled for them with their arm outstretched, a large flame belching from their hand.

"How is that possible?" Jensi asked. "They're human!"

"Yeah, but they must have scientists and inventors working with them," said Amy. "That's why we thought a Technopath was in their rebellion, but I'd bet all that technology is either provided by elvin supporters or based off of elvin tech."

"Except it's human," Jensi finished.

Had Dex come to the same conclusion? Or was he still at his house, trying to figure the addlers out? They hadn't had time to communicate to their friends their revelation... but maybe that wasn't necessary; it looked like a lot of them already knew something.

"We have to help," he decided, and Jeri let out a long "Duuuuuuuh."

Amy eyed the battle—Juline freezing a Purity's leg to the ground, Wylie temporarily blinding members so the others could detain them, Alina beguiling the enemies to do as she willed. "I... don't know, Jensi. I don't know what I can do—not without an ability. I'm not a warrior."

"We have knowledge. In any battle, that's worth something."

"Saving the world by knowledge?" Jeri whined. "I'd rather be a verminion's chew toy!"

"It doesn't matter what you'd rather—you're not fighting," said Jensi. "I need you to go tell Keefe, Biana, and Dex about what's going on."

Her eyes widened in rage, and she stomped her foot. "NO! You said you'd let us help! You can't take that back! I don't care if I'm Talentless; I'm not USELESS!"

"Jeri, it's not about you being Talentless! I'm Talentless, and Amy doesn't have an ability."

"It's about grown-ups being so mature, isn't it? I'm mature!" She emphasized the point with another foot stomp.