Chapter Twenty-Four - LINH

Linh and Wylie glittered into Hollowed Hills in the hollow of a hill.

It was more a cave, rough rocky walls arching over their heads, only a foot taller than Wylie. Mismatched pockets of exposed shiny stone decorated the otherwise plain rock, and filtered light the color of gems illuminated the small space.

Linh didn't recognize the place at which they had appeared; she'd been to Hollowed Hills three times—twice as a Wayward and once as a Coach—but every time she had leaped here, she'd always reappeared in a wide valley, mountainous walls rising to her left and right.

"The light ray must have brought us here instead of in the valley," Wylie mused, apparently thinking the same thoughts. "If that's even possible. It doesn't look like there's much light out there."

"There's light everywhere," Linh reminded him. "And besides, Hollowed Hills is famous for the geodes that make up the inside of these mountains. It's a scientific marvel, but somehow the light congregates inside the mountains, and when the rock erodes away to expose the gems, the light shines through."

"It looks dim," he murmured, running a finger along the walls.

"There is only so much light stored in the geodes," Linh explained. "When the sun is at a certain angle, the light is restored. About twenty-four hours later, it runs out, only to be restored once more."

"You're just full of knowledge today," laughed Wylie. "Is this another thing you learned at Exillium?" He gave her one of his small smiles. It wasn't that it was small in comparison to his other ones, just small in comparison to someone like Keefe's or Biana's. Really, Linh liked his smile more than theirs. It was reserved, but only for a few people. The fact that she was one of them pleased her.

However, the real reason for why they were there crashed down on her.

Wylie's brow furrowed. "Sorry—did I say something wrong?"

"No. I'm fine."

He seemed to hesitate, but after a moment asked, "Are you?"

She pulled away and grabbed her cloak, pulling it tighter around her shoulders. "You're pushing too hard, Wylie."

"Maybe you need it."

"Or I don't!" She flinched at the harshness in her tone. "Sorry. You're right. It's just... Tam came to me the other day after the Collective's meeting. He feels like, if the Human Reinstatement Program is a success, it will mean the elvin world is healing from all its prejudices, including discrimination against twins." She paused, unsure how to continue without being prompted.

Wylie seemed to understand. "And how do you feel?" At "you," he poked her arm playfully.

She smiled despite herself. "I don't know. I'm conflicted, I suppose. Ever since Mother and Father joined the Black Swan, they seem so eager to put our family's past behind them. But Tam can't forget it—and neither can I. Yet if I don't forgive them, how will Tam?"

"You can't baby Tam his whole life, you know. At some point you'll make one decision, and he may make another. Maybe you're expecting too much from yourself."

Linh closed her eyes and let her emotions settle. She wasn't sure how to respond to that.

Instead she returned to the safer subject. "Forgiveness won't be possible until the prejudices disappear. Tam, the Council, the Black Swan—they all think the Human Reinstatement Program will solve that.

"But... they don't see what goes on behind the scenes. Humans are flocking to the Neutral Territories because the Purities arose, and I know it's not their fault, but it's all just happening so fast, and it's so hard to adjust..." She sighed. "It's not that I don't want the humans here—I do. But it almost feels as if we're righting a wrong with another one—as if we're preventing hurting people by hurting others. There doesn't seem to be a compromise."