Chapter Forty-Nine - LINH

When the dust cleared, Everfalls was in chaos. Maruca's force fields flickered away as she collapsed to one knee, pressing a hand into her shoulder, but it didn't really matter. The Purities didn't attack.

That was when Linh looked at the cliff, where the waterfalls ran off into the labyrinth of streams. There was a massive crater where Nhyonuitoufhoa had been, and she felt the remnant of its water throbbing beneath the debris.

The Purities' target, what this whole mess had been about, had been destroyed.

"Linh!" Wylie called, his voice urgent. She shifted her gaze from the wreckage to a small group of the Black Swan who'd gathered around a body.

Her heart lurched. "Oh no."

Blur, Wraith, Squall, Granite, and Prentice carved a way for her into the circle. Wylie came up behind her, a steady presence he knew she needed. She didn't have time to say thank-you—she wasn't sure that was what she should say to him anyway after everything—but instead knelt beside Sophie and Mr. Forkle.

"Sophie," Forkle gasped, but Linh shushed him, gathering water and pressing it to his stomach, chest, and leg; where he'd been shot.

"I'm right here," Sophie said, tears running down her face. "Please don't leave me." She looked to Linh, but Linh shook her head. There was nothing she could do.

"I'm not ready," pressed Sophie, but Mr. Forkle shook his head.

"Yes you are. You're more than ready."

"No! I can't do this without your help! Mr. Forkle..."

His breathing became heavier, more labored, and Linh tried to back away, give them space. But her legs wouldn't move, and her heart suddenly ached, and she pressed her hand to it to hold in her sobs.

This was her fault. The Purities attacking, everything that had happened... It was because she had joined them.

"My... my work...," rasped Forkle, pressing a hand to Sophie's cheek, "is... finished. I have peace." His eyes grew distant, and then he stilled.

"No," Sophie said, shaking him. "No. No!"

Juline pulled Sophie away and wrapped her in an embrace. "Its okay, sweetheart. He was so proud of you."

"Linh," Wylie murmured, pulling her back.

She pushed him away. She didn't want comfort—didn't deserve it. Wylie's face contorted, and another stab of guilt bled her dry. "Wy—"

"Linh!" someone shouted, another voice, another someone needing her to be strong.

She turned to see Marella, face streaked with soot, sprinting for her. "Linh—" she started again, but her voice choked off when she saw Mr. Forkle. Horror seeped into her posture.

"Marella?" Linh asked, sensing the wetness of her eyelashes. She'd been crying.

Marella jerked, spinning to face Linh fully. Still panting from the run, she gasped, "Your brother."

Linh stilled her body, but on the inside there was a storm, a hurricane, poised to drown her. "What about him?"

_________________

"It's food, Linh."

"I know; I'm just telling you where it's at."

Tam kicked his feet, sending the chair screeching backward. "I don't need a babysitter, and I'm not helpless!"

"I never said that." Linh reached for his hand, but he jerked it away.