Chapter Seventeen - MARUCA

"What?!" shouted Maruca, jerking away from Belisia's desk. "You want us to steal the painting? Why? How? I don't understand."

"Clearly," Belisia quipped, riffling through the papers. "I already explained why: there is a gang trying to steal it first. We cannot let that happen, not if it's something important—which we have reason to believe it is. As for how, that all depends on your team, Miss Chebota."

Her team. Belisia must have meant Fitz and Stina.

Fitz, Maruca could handle, but Stina?

I want to be reassigned! the selfish part of her whined.

But that wasn't an option. The Councillors had given her this mission, and it was her duty to see it through.

First, though—take control of the situation.

"How can you put so much stock in the painting?" she demanded. "You don't even know what it is—just that it's allegedly elvin—and what you do know is that this gang you mentioned is violent."

"Yes, as is typical human behaviour. What point are you trying to make?"

"How can we guarantee the safety of everyone in this camp if we're going up against a violent gang?"

"This camp is completely safe," Belisia argued. "We have obscurers, as well as sufficient defenses—"

"Really? Then why was that fire set so near this 'protected' campsite?"

Belisia stiffened. "When... when we restore the humans' memories—or, rather, plant new ones to explain how the elves had existed without the humans' knowledge—they have a choice. They can move to the Lost Cities to learn more about our culture, or they can return to their original homes to live as they've always done—of course, without telling anyone else of their new insight. Even if they did, no one would believe them, save... for a select group."

Maruca felt the weight of those words squeeze her lungs until she was breathless. "You mean the gang who set the fire knows about us?"

"Yes, but we are completely safe."

"You seem to be saying those words a lot in this conversation; I'm starting to wonder if they're true."

"And what does your horse-loving friend think?" Belisia asked, nodding toward Stina. "Are you having similar qualms?"

Stina raised her hands. "Nope—no qualms! I'm just enjoying the show." She shot Maruca an infuriatingly amused grin.

Maruca's anger surged. Could Stina ever take things seriously? Stealing this painting could endanger the whole campsite. In fact, this whole restoring-humans'-memories-then- letting-them-go system was extremely flawed—especially in a human city known for excessive violence.

Something Maruca wouldn't have known if it hadn't been for research, which she wouldn't have conducted had she not been assigned to this case.

Which was what she was. Assigned. By the Council. And it was her duty to do this. As she'd already reminded herself.

Stop getting distracted.

"I'll need a rundown of your security measures, as well as crime rates in this area," Maruca said. "This may be your operation, Lady Belisia, but I'm here now, and if you expect me to do anything like what you're asking, you'll need to return the favor."

Belisia's eyebrow rose. "Barely five minutes in, and the Emissary takes control. Interesting."

"The information is for Councillor Fitz as well," Maruca defended, but she could feel her cheeks heating, giving her away.