Chapter One

It all started when Mr. Kumajirou disappeared.

Of course, at the time I was totally unaware. I thought he was sitting on my bed, just like always. I was pretty sure I did passed the exam, probably getting around 80%.

"Ah... that exam was really hard, wasn't it?" Arthur let out a sigh, slumping. "Ah... I guess I should have tried to study instead of annoying that fool Francis."

"And maybe I, shouldn't have riled you up." Francis chirped.

"But... the exam is over... so it doesn't matter anymore!!" Arthur attacked Francis, jumping on top of him as the two of them continued another hissy fight. At this point, I didn't even know what they were doing anymore. They would constantly switch from being best friends to worst enemies. It was all confusing and strange. It was even worse that I had to share a dorm with these two.

"You guys, I'm just going to go to the library. Tell Feliks if he asks." I wondered if he was going to ask where I was. Most people don't notice my presence often.

I arrived at the library, running my finger over the spines of books. I was so mesmerised with the books, that I walked into someone else.

"I- I'm sorry!" I gasped. "A- Are you alright, sir?!"

The boy laughed lightly. "Yeah, I'm good." He picked himself up and brushed himself. "How about you?"

"It's not too bad." I replied.

I quickly studied his features. He was somewhat muscular, and he had brown hair that reached his shoulders.

"I'm Heracles. What book are you looking for?" He introduced himself, extending his hand to me.

I stared at it. "Um, Matthew." I mumbled, and accepted it. He shook my hand. "To be honest, I've read a lot of the books in here. I'm just looking for a book that grabs my attention, I guess."

I don't know why Heracles's eyes lit up. "Really? Do you have any recommendations?"

I paused. I fiddled with my fingers and looked back at him. "What genre do you like?"

He shrugged, flicking his hair behind his ear. "Historical fiction." 

I thought of all the historical fiction books I've read. Alan Gratz was a really good historical fiction author. Maybe Heracles should start with that?

"Follow me." I reached for his arm and dragged him after me. I followed the signs to the 'Historical Fiction' area. "My favourite books in this genre are by Alan Gratz."

I shot a glance at Heracles. He looked to be in awe. "These books look magnificent."

I stood on my tiptoes and pulled out a book from the shelf. "This book is called 'Allies'. It's... based on World War II. Here, you can read this if you want."

Heracles took the book from me and I think he was reading the blurb. "Cool, I'll read this."

"I'm glad I could help." I smiled, feeling less anxious.

Heracles followed me to the reception and checked out the book. "Hey, Matthew?"

I blinked, turning around. "Yes?"

He scratched the back of his neck. "Do you want to meet up here everyday?"

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Did he just ask me to... be friends? "R- Really? Are you sure? If it's fine with you, then sure." I stuttered.

Heracles smiled. "Thank you for finding this book for me. See you tomorrow!" 

I watched his back as he walked away. Sighing, I knew I had to go to my dorm... where Arthur and Francis were most likely to be fighting in some way or another. It was getting pretty annoying. But I knew better than to protest. It never changed anything, and never will. It also didn't help as Feliks tended to encourage the two of them.