Chapter 9: A hospital visit ✔

After the doctor asked Michael to leave, he started examining Emily. Emily found she quite liked the doctor with his soft no-nonsense voice. He was about 60 years old with gray hair and gold-rimmed glasses. He was making Emily think of all the grandfathers she had ever seen on tv.

"Do you want to tell me what happened to you?" The doctor asked.

Emily closed her eyes, taking a big breath. She told the doctor what happened, again leaving out the part about wolves and a handsome man flying her to the hospital. No way she was telling anybody that, guessing the hospital probably had a Psych ward and Emily was sure that part of the story would buy her a one-way ticket, all expenses trip there.

"And that's it?" asked the doctor. Looking at Emily, he did have a feeling she was hiding something.

"You have 317 cuts on your body. Even though some are quite deep, you are very fortunate that none are life-threatening," the doctor pointed out.

Emily looked irritated at the doctor in front of her wondering if her face gave away her crazy thoughts. "What more should it be? I was attacked, kidnapped, and some sicko used me as his personal slicing dummy. I would say that is enough?" Emily almost screamed, trying to hide her discomfort.

"Relax, Emily, breath. I do not doubt you. I am just trying to find out what happened. I must admit I have not seen anything like this ever. Even though almost half of the cuts in your body are deep enough to need stitches, there was almost no bleeding by the time you got here. Some of the smaller cuts even started to heal by themselves. You did lose a lot of blood before you came to the hospital and needed about three blood bags" while the doctor spoke, Emily had a flashback about a man with platinum blond hair and crystal clear blue eyes. He spoke with an angelic voice, words she couldn't understand but gave her more peace than she had ever felt. His hands had a strange glow and as he spoke, a warm feeling started taking over her body and the pain began to go away.

"Emily, have you heard anything I said?" the doctor interrupted Emily's thoughts.

"I have always been a fast healer," Emily lied, trying to make out the new image she just had, wondering if she was losing her mind.

"Maybe I should go to the Psych ward," Emily thought.

"I don't really see a reason to keep you there for more than a night. Is there someone you can stay with for a couple of days?"

"Yes," Emily smiled, refusing to offer any more information.

"The hospital is also asking about the bill....how will you be paying?"

"I do have insurance."

"Great, I will get the nurse to get your details and if nothing changes overnight, you can go home tomorrow," The Doctor said, turning around with a last reassuring smile before leaving the room.

Long after Michael and the doctor left, Emily was lying on her back, looking at the ceiling trying to make sense of everything. She tried moving to her side, but it had hurt too much. Her face and back were the only places that didn't have wounds. She missed her own bed and the peace and quiet of her own apartment. Emily was looking forward to being alone, hoping that nothing would go wrong and she could escape tomorrow. She wondered if the detective phoned Ben, feeling guilty because she was sure Ben and Anna would cancel the rest of their holiday to come to her and she felt guilty about the diner not opening. One thing about growing up in an abusive home is you feel guilty about everything, and even after years of living on her own, Emily still struggled with it.

Emily tried to turn on her side again and cried out in pain and frustration. She didn't even have her phone to make arrangements for someone to open the diner tomorrow morning. Emily didn't even know where her handbag was, and it was just one more thing to get sorted out once she got out of the hospital. Groaning, Emily wasn't sure if she wanted to scream or start crying.

The doctor had told Emily how lucky she was that none of the cuts was deep enough to be life-threatening. "I sure feel freaking lucky," Emily thought sarcastically.

Every time she closed her eyes, Emily saw the man standing there with his hand around Paul's throat, looking at her before his teeth sank into Paul. Emily thought about the strong arms picking her up and bringing her to the hospital.

"What's happening to me?" Emily wondered out loud. Getting no answer, Emily fell asleep while dreaming strange dreams of wolves and giants, one with pale blond hair and glowing hands and one with dark brown eyes that you could lose your soul in.

Later during the night, while Emily was sleeping, a figure moved out of the shadows with an evil smile he walked over to Emily's bed, brushing a red curl out of her face. Softly whispering to Emily, "How perfect is this? I have searched centuries for you and to think that idiot Paul almost killed you."

Laughing, he left the room. "This is going to be fun!"