Chapter 31: Missing Person's Report ✔

Ring, Ring!

The sound took a moment to wake Emily from her dreams, stretching her naked body underneath the duvet. Smiling, she thought about what happened last night when she and Alistar came back to the room. Neither of them spoke much, their need for each other took over. Emily only fell asleep close to sunrise. She was glad that she only had to be at work at lunchtime. 

Ring, Ring!

Emily reached over to the bedside table, reaching for her phone. Looking around, she didn't see Alistar and wondered where he was. 

The phone kept on ringing. Looking down, Emily saw Ben's name flashing on the screen. For a moment, Emily froze. "Ben, what's wrong? Is everything okay?" she fired off without greeting.

"Good morning to you too, Honey," Anna greeted.

"Sorry, Anna, good morning. Is everything okay? is Ben okay?"

Emily looked up as the bedroom door opened and Alistar walked in with a frown, sitting next to Emily on the bed. "What's wrong?" he asked silently. "I don't know," Emily answered.

"Honey, we are at your apartment. Where are you?"

"You and Ben are at my apartment? Why?"

Emily could hear Ben talking urgently to Anna before he took the phone.

"Baby girl, are you okay? Where are you? We need to speak to you urgently."

"I am at Alistar's house," Emily said, her cheeks burning. Sleeping over at a boyfriend's house was not something she wanted to discuss with her parents, especially Ben.

"Great, give me the address. We will come to you," Ben said. Emily could hear they were already rushing down the stairs.

Emily looked up at Alistar with big eyes. He just nodded to Emily before taking her phone. "Good morning Ben, is everything okay?" he inquired, listening for a moment before giving his address. "Okay, see you soon."

Handing her the phone, "Morning love, I think you quickly need to get ready. I will inform the others of our guest's arrival," giving Emily a quick kiss before returning downstairs. 

20 minutes later, just as Emily walked down the stairs, showered, and dressed, the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it," Michael called out, walking to the door. "Good morning Ems" he smiled while walking past her. Emily stood at the foot of the stairs, not knowing what to do. She could hear Michael greeting her parents and inviting them inside. When Ben saw her, he rushed to her, hugging her. "I am so glad you are okay" Anna pushed her big husband out of the way, also wrapping her arms around Emily. "Honey, we were so concerned when you didn't open your door this morning."

"Good morning to you too, but you guys are scaring me," Emily said, looking at both of them. 

Alistar walked towards them, placing his arm around Emily, "good morning Ben, Anna," he greeted while shaking their hands. "Let's go to the study to talk."

Leading them into the study, Alistar invited them to sit, taking his place next to Emily on the sofa. Emily noticed Ben had a couple of newspapers in his hands. 

After a moment of silence, Ben cleared his throat. "Emily, I don't know if we should maybe talk in private? It's about your past."

"It's fine, Dad. I told Alistar about everything," Emily reassured them, smiling as Alistar took her hand in his. "Oh, Honey, I am so glad you opened up" Anna smiled at the couple in front of her. "Okay, well, if you are sure, I need to show you something." Opening one newspaper after another, each had the same missing person notice. Emily picked up one staring at the same missing person notice that was placed six years ago when she just ran away. The only difference was Jack only had these notices printed in the local newspapers back home. She knows they were never placed in the big city because Ben did keep an eye on the missing kid's reports for her. It was the same report Jack used to get money from the poor suckers that believed his sad lies.