Chapter 16: Emily's Apartment ✔

Emily looked up for the first time when the car stopped.

She was glad to see that Alistar had brought her home instead of the diner.

As Emily looked at her apartment building, her subconsciousness was nagging her about something, but she couldn't put her thumb on it. She was struggling in her handbag to find her keys. Emily needed to get out. She felt like she couldn't breathe. Her hands were shaking so much that she almost dropped her bag.

"Let me," Alistar said, placing his hands over hers before taking her bag and taking out her key. Alistar got out and walked around the car to hold the door open for her.

"Thank you," Emily said, trying to smile, but the smile didn't reach her eyes. She reached out to try and take back her keys, but Alistar just moved his hand out of her reach. 

"Let me walk you in," Alistar ordered softly before taking Emily's hand and walking to the stairs that led to her apartment. For the first time, Emily was thankful that someone was there holding her hand, looking at how perfect her hand fitted in his. Wishing she could take some of his strength just for a moment. Emily wished she could ask him to stay but felt she had no right dragging someone else into her messed-up life.

Both Alistar and Emily were silent, walking up the stairs. Again Emily's mind was trying to tell her something, but before she could think about what it was trying to say, they reached her apartment. Standing in front of her door, Emily looked up with a frown watching Alistar opening her door, waiting for her to walk in.

Emily turned around, thinking that Alistar would leave once she entered, finding he was already inside her apartment, closing the door. "You don't have to stay," Emily said in a small voice, not being used to having anyone in her home. Alistar took her handbag and the envelope out of Emily's hands and sat them down on the table by the door.

"You need coffee," Alistar stated, pushing Emily to the small lounge "go sit; I will make it."

Needing a moment to herself, Emily agreed, "Just give me a moment. I need to go to the bathroom," moving to her room and closing the door. Leaning against the closed door, Emily felt tired, and her brain didn't want to work, feeling helpless. Wanting to give up, "I am never going to be free from him." Emily whispered to herself, swallowing a couple of times as her tears threatened to spill over.

While Emily was in her room, Alistar opened his mind link with Gregory, telling him everything that happened. Asking if someone could go to the restaurant and see if the staff remembered anything about who dropped the envelope.

"Are you coming to the house?" Gregory asked.

"I think I need to stay. Emily is not taking it well, and I get the feeling she thinks this is her fault and I need to find out why," Alistar replied.

"Alistar, be careful and remember she is not Isabelle."

"I know. I will contact you if I need you" Alistar closed the connection, feeling irritated with the whole situation. But he knew Gregory was right Emily was not Isabelle. They might look the same, but that was where the similarities stopped. Isabelle was soft and trusting, and she always laughed. Emily was strong and serious, and she had a way to look at you with her blue eyes as if she could see your soul.

Once the coffee finished brewing, Alistar poured a cup and took it to the lounge, placing it on the small table in the middle of the room. Alistar looked at the room with its one blue sofa turned perfectly to watch tv. The room was small but cozy. The whole apartment screamed Emily and it was evident that she didn't get or expect visitors. For some reason, Alistar was glad that the only scent he could pick up was Emily's and her parents, which meant no other man was visiting his Emily. Alistar was not sure when he started thinking of her as his. Shaking his head, trying to clear his thoughts, looking at the photos on the wall.