Chapter 29: One more envelope ✔

Alistar leaned over Emily, who was fast asleep lying on her stomach, hugging a pillow. Alistar smiled, watching her snuggle into the pillow and bent his head over her exposed back, leaving small butterfly kisses on her shoulder and neck. "Good morning, sleepyhead," laughing at Emily's weak attempt to shoo him away with her hand. "You have to get up for work, little one. Look, I made you coffee."

Turning around, Emily smiled. "Coffee?"

Shaking his head, Alistar moved enough for Emily to sit up, thanking him as she took the coffee from him. Emily noted that Alistar was already dressed and ready for the day, looking as handsome as ever in his dark dress pants and button-up white shirt. Feeling self-conscious, she tried to smooth her bed hair while sipping the coffee. "What are you doing today?"

"I have a video call with the witches to see if they have an answer about the dried herbs. Then Michael and I need to go through the blood banks video footage to see if we can see who bought the blood that was used in your apartment. I also have some work to do for our company," taking the empty cup out of Emily's hand and placing it on the bedside table. He pulled her closer. "I used to get a lot of paperwork done during the nights, but for some reason, I didn't do anything the last couple of nights," Alistar continued before claiming Emily's lips. Pulling away, Emily teased, "Are you complaining?"

"Not at all, but if you don't get off this bed and into that shower, we will not get any work done today."

A while later, Emily was out of the bathroom dressed and ready to work. Finding the room empty, she made her way to the study where Alistar and Gregory were sitting and talking.

"Good morning. If you are ready to go, I will take you this morning" picking up his laptop bag and saying goodbye to Alistar, Gregory walked to the front door, waiting. Emily gave Alistar a quick kiss before following Gregory outside.

When the car stopped in front of the diner, Emily turned to Gregory, "I am really sorry you have to babysit me again."

"Ems, you were dragged into something you had no say in. In any case, I prefer to sit in the diner than sit outside trying to watch you without anyone noticing," Gregory explained, getting out of the car.

Before he could walk around the car to open the door for her, Emily's door was already opened by Emily's foster dad, Ben. "Good morning, Baby Girl" Ben smiled, giving Emily a hug. Turning to Gregory, "I remember you. You are one of Alistar's friends. Sorry, I can't remember your name."

"Gregory," Gregory answered, holding his hand for Ben to shake.

"What brings you out this early?" Ben asked, his arm still protectively around Emily.

"I have to meet someone a couple of blocks from here later and Emily had offered a cup of coffee in exchange for a ride to work," Gregory lied smoothly as all three walked to the diner door, waiting for Ben to unlock it. Holding the door open for Emily, Ben scooped down to pick up an A4 brown envelope that was pushed underneath the door, dumping it with other mail and the daily newspaper on the counter. Ben and Emily walked around switching on lights and opening windows.

After a while, Emily placed three cups of coffee on the counter while Ben and Gregory talked about the game they both had watched Sunday. He also asked Emily about her weekend. Looking at the mail to see if there were anything for her, Emily's eyes caught the envelope, slowly moving it from underneath the newspaper, and it was addressed to Emily. "Dad, where did you find this?"

"It was underneath the door when we came in" Ben looked at Emily, who was staring at the envelope, her hands slightly shaking. "What is it, honey? Is it addressed to anyone?"

"Yes, it's mine. I will open it later," Emily tried to smile at Ben. "Gregory, do you want to sit at the counter, or should I take your coffee to a booth? I know you still have some work to do." Picking up his coffee Gregory walked over to the booth. Hiding the envelope underneath Gregory's laptop bag, Emily picked up the bag placing it on the table in front of Gregory. Emily hoped Ben would forget about it. It was the same type of envelope Emily received the night of her and Alistar's first date, telling both Emily and Gregory nothing good could be inside. Emily hoped that she could get a moment later to open it.