Part 2

Julie was dropping by for lunch, as has become her habit of doing. I am long past flattering myself into thinking it has anything to do with me. Maybe I could be fooled by the fact that she always stops by my little cubicle especially to come and fetch me. Alas, her sister with whom she was practically attached to the hip from infancy was basically wiped from her memory once a certain young man came into view.

Julie and Ian have since made their relationship official and furthered all the rest of the world's unrealistic expectations for love. If the man upstairs had decided to create one couple to be an example of perfect compatibility, it would be them.

To prove my point, Julie came into my office with her graceful innocence. She looked especially beautiful with her white sundress and glowing skin.

Ah...the effects of young love.

Ian was already waiting for us (for Julie) once we entered the staff kitchen.

He was considerate enough to ask me how my day was going and handed me a cup of coffee. But as soon as all the niceties were out of the way, his eyes turned to Julie and only her. It was the same from her side.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not jealous. Not at all. I was ecstatic for Julie and Ian. They seemed genuinely happy together and that was the main reason why they turned oblivious to the existence of any other human being once together. You couldn't blame them.

But you also couldn't blame me for turning to Candy Crush after witnessing their gushy couple talk for two weeks straight. A girl could only take so much giggling, sighing and cutesy jokes.

Other girls would gush along with their sisters and pine for their own love interest. I prefer sarcastic comments and teasing, which have long since lost their appeal. And the only thing I was pining for was a tub of ice cream, and to get through my current infuriating level of candy crush.

Gee, could you be any more of a romantic Lizzie?

"Level 350, that's a hard one."

I jumped at Mr Knight's voice from behind me.

I was so engrossed in my game that I hadn't noticed he was hovering over my shoulder.

"You gave me a fright." I replied with my hand over my chest, "What are you doing down here anyway?" I asked confused.

He never comes into the staff kitchen. Ever. In all of the months that I have worked for William Knight, he had never, not once even, come near this room.

"I came to fetch some coffee." He said indicating the empty cup in his hand.

"But it's 12:30, you never drink coffee at this time of day."

Had this been anyone else, this occurrence wouldn't have been this odd. But Mr Knight liked his routine. He had specific times in his head for every task in his day. I would actually not be surprised if he had a colour-coded spreadsheet on his laptop that indicated when his next bathroom break was going to be.

Mr Knight cocked an eyebrow at me with a hint of a smile forming on his lips.

"Had I known I would face an interrogation from you I might have given it a skip altogether," he responded teasingly.

As if your interrogation skills would ever intimidate him.

I stood up and stepped closer to where he was standing.

"Here, let me do it," I said extending my hand for his cup.

He handed it over and I started preparing his coffee. Since my initial bad encounters with the coffee machine, we have come to somewhat of an agreement. If it refrained from blasting me with steam, I wouldn't continuously smack its nozzles with the milk jug. It was a win-win.

"You know, you could have just phoned me and I'd have brought this up for you." I handed him his cup of coffee.

I knew I was on his speed dial. I had put my number there upon his request. And he has also used it a couple of times when I wasn't in my office to get a hold of me. He could've easily done the same now.

"Believe it or not, I try not to unnecessarily call my employees on their lunch breaks." He answered, taking a sip of coffee.

"Oh is that so? How considerate of you." I said sarcastically.

"It might also have something to do with the human resource department bringing it to my attention that this was somewhat against company policy."

I laughed at that and he grinned in return.

About as quickly as his smile appeared, it disappeared. It has happened a few times before since I've known him. And each time it was as if he let his guard down for a split second only to bring it right back up again just as fast.

I have become used to it by now and it didn't bother me as much. In many ways, I could be just as guarded.

"In all honesty, I wouldn't have minded doing so today," I admitted, glancing over at Julie and Ian who were playing with each other's fingers on the table.

"Ah yes, the two of them can be quite... intense." He noted following my gaze.

"That's one way to put it. I give it three months." I said watching as Julie threw her head back laughing at something Ian said.

They really did seem quite smitten with each other. Ian even seemed younger and less like the important businessman that I knew he was.

"No, I think it'll take a little longer than that for them to get tired of each other. I give it at least five." He stated flatly.

I looked at him in shock before smacking his shoulder.

"Not to break up! I think they'll be engaged in three months. Honestly, you're even more cynical than me." I said shaking my head at him.

His eyes creased at the sides as he fought his smile. He was teasing again.

Teasing? No, we don't do teasing. Or rather, we shouldn't.

I took a step away from him to create some distance between us and looked anywhere but at him.

"May I?" He asked pointing at my phone.

"Be my guest," I answered, unlocking my phone and handing it to him.

There was no way he was going to get through that level. I have been stuck on it for two weeks now. There was no way...

"Here you go." He said handing the phone back to me, after a few swipes across my screen.

"You've got to be kidding me!" I exclaimed, grabbing the phone from his grasp. "I have been struggling with that level for two weeks now! How did you do it?"

"Oh, it was nothing, I simply looked out for a striped and wrapped combo to blast the centre jelly." He answered nonchalantly over his shoulder, before exiting the kitchen.

As if it was nothing.

Of course, he would be good at Candy Crush.

Arrogant man.

Arrogant sexy man. Oh, how I love to look at him go.

Shut up!