Part 8

I don't know when it happened or even how exactly. To me, it feels all of a sudden and at the same time as if it took months of being around one another. But somewhere, somehow William drew me close without me realising.

His fingers were absentmindedly tapping on the steering wheel along with the music that was playing on the radio. Every so often his eyes would travel back where I was sitting in the passenger seat, forming a connection with his gaze which I couldn't break.

When it came to his physical presence, he was comfortable enough around me. This has been the case for many months now. It started with an innocent brush along my shoulder when he pushed in my chair, comforting me when I was distressed, to what just transpired in the filing room. 

But I still knew very little about William Knight, apart from what I could find about him on the internet and what he had told me in that letter. Who was he really? What was his childhood like? Was he the kind of boy who caused trouble? Or was he quiet and obedient? Did he have any siblings? What are his likes? And dislikes?

"Yes?" William's voice interrupted my internal spiral of questions.

I looked back at him confused.

"I didn't say anything." 

The dimples on his cheeks appeared.

"I know, but it seems like there's something on your mind. And frowning is not a good look on you."

This only deepened my frown and caused William to chuckle.

"Come on Elizabeth, what is it you'd like to say? Is it about what we did earlier?" He asked with a twinge of concern lacing his voice.

My stupid hormones went into overdrive and a blush quickly spread over my cheeks. I don't know whether I'll ever get used to what William had done earlier or be able to stop from blushing every time it's mentioned.

"No, it's not about that...it's just, I realized that apart from the day-to-day things, I don't know all that much about you." 

I didn't know what to expect from him. In the past, my enquiries into his personal life did not go down all too well. But I assume the situation has changed somewhat since this morning.

"What would you like to know?"

Studying his features he still seemed as relaxed as before, not closed off as I expected.

There were so many things that I wanted to know about him, so many things that puzzled me. But what do I want to ask him first?

"I want to know about your family and what they were like growing up."

This was something that I was genuinely curious about. The man never talked about his family. Obviously, he had one. But what were they like? I assume they were significantly different to my own. Probably way less chaotic.

There was a slight crease between his eyebrows but he continued nevertheless.

"My family life was relatively normal I guess. My father was usually busy working and hardly ever at home. My mother on the other hand was the definition of a good housewife and caring mother. Present at every school event, there when I needed discipline but also quick to give comfort afterwards. I really couldn't have asked for a better mother." 

There was a sad twinge to how he said all of this. I knew what he was going to say next even before he continued. And my heart was breaking for him.

"She died of cancer when I was 14, I had to grow up pretty quick after that." He finished with a sad smile. 

I could feel how he was hurting and there was nothing more that I wanted to do at that moment than comfort him.