| eighteen |

BOKUTO LEANS HIS BACK AGAINST THE WOODEN SEAT. His fingers toyed with a borrowed pencil, completely ignoring the important sheets that lied in front of his eyes. The two of you had just met up near the closest waffle house near Bokuto's apartment, and surprisingly neither of your roommates have butted into this "relationship" he shared with you.

"Here's your coffee," you said, placing down the warm cup. "Kae says you like it sweet."

"Thank you," Bokuto grins, happily sipping the warmth of the coffee between his lips. He doesn't seem to hear the fact that you mentioned his ex this time, and to your surprise, he doesn't react with a bitter smile. "So, what should we discuss first? Our plan is a mess, and neither of them have shown any signs." Bokuto is usually good at reading people- at least, he is when he tries. Akaashi for example, the two have been best friends since high school, of course he'd be able to read him. Or perhaps, Akaashi is the only person he can read 99% of the time.

"Actually, I think Kae might be bothered with it. And well, I'm having second thoughts about this too.." you confessed, a deep sigh following after. Your fingers wrap around your cup of tea tightly as your lips parted to continue. "This, isn't the best idea. Maybe we're even being selfish right now, and it's giving me a headache. I understand that you want her back but.. the more I've had time to think about our situation, the more it's frustrated me. I'm deceiving her, and I don't like that."

Bokuto doesn't spare a expression of surprise when you finish your little vent. He is the one who begged you into this mess, and you have every right to want out of it.

"It's okay." he reassures you, trying to lighten up your mood. "But we can't just call it quits now, otherwise it'll seem unrealistic. And because I made you quit your job, I'll keep paying you!" (Bokuto still feels bad for making you quit a job that made good money, though he doesn't regret keeping you away from any creepy men).

"No, no, it's fine Bokuto." you intervene, shaking your head. "You don't have to pay me. And I knew you'd bring that up, so I came up with an idea."

Bokuto raises an eyebrow, a confused expression watering down his face. What idea do you have in mind? Was it something that could benefit you both? "Oh, and what is that?" he questions, leaning closer to your side of the table.

"We- well, I, tell Kaede about this situation. But Akaashi can't know."

Bokuto gawks at you, the smile that was once worn on his face falling off as he heard your suggestion. "That's stupid!" Bokuto blurts out, rising from his seat. "Akaashi is already suspicious of us, so why-"

"Because unlike Akaashi, I believe you and Kaede are still pinning on each other." you state, ignoring the mini scene he'd made. "I don't want to create chaos with deceiving my best friend. I gave in so quickly to you, which was incredibly dumbfounded of me. And I'd rather deal with the consequences now rather than later. And we're adults, we should both know better!"

Bokuto sighs, he can't argue with you on this one. "You're completely right, but you're also forgetting the fact that I'm also deceiving my own best friend. I don't believe Akaashi would be upset, but it doesn't sound very fair to me."

"How is it not fair-?" you ask, crossing your arms. You had already thought of this plan through, so what holes is he finding? "If Kaede finds out we've been faking it, then she'll most definitely come running back to you with regrets."

"And if she doesn't? I mean, the way she broke up with me was absolute bullshit... I'm not saying I'm over her, but obviously something must've happened to her, right?"

Some of Bokuto's friends tend to believe he doesn't have the brains to understand another being. Which, makes no sense to him at all. His mind may wander off into volleyball, or even the next night the team has a barbeque, but that doesn't make a person's feelings invisible to the human eye. The moment he met eyes with the blonde was the moment he had grown interested into her, sneaking past the facade she put out so easily.

"Trust me," you mutter. "I've already tried talking to her. The idiot refuses to open up to me. But she likes you, still does, and will possibly tell you. I just want her to be happy, if that's with you so be it. She needs to work on her communication and attitude first though, so help her with that too."

Bokuto can't help but roll his eyes. How could Kaede be so close to someone like you? It's not like you were a bad person. No, you were far from being one. There's just something about you that's been irritating him, and he wishes his friend Konoha was here to kick it in him. "I feel as if you're asking me to take the role of being her parent- not boyfriend."

"Did I word it that way? My apologies, I didn't mean to, Kou."

"You know," he sighs, struggling to pick up his homework. "You don't have to use that nickname when we're out."

"It's cute though, and we're friends now. So, I see no issue with it." Ah, Bokuto's almost forgotten. No matter how many compliments you throw his way, they're all platonic. He's starting to believe you o view him as Kaede's ex first rather than a friend. If it were any stranger feeding into your innocent compliments, he's sure they'd be wrapped along your finger the moment you shine them a smile.

"Keep calling me that and I'll feel lead on." he thinks to himself before returning a response.

"You're right," he says, hesitantly agreeing. "But if we're going to admit the truth to Kaede then, I want to be the one to do it."

"Sure," you hummed, leaning your head against the cold window beside you. Your tone becomes softer this time, more tired than bored. "Just do it by tomorrow or I'll beat you to it."

He nods, taking in the silence that's holding you two apart. In the moment he sits across from your exhausted figure, a new light bulb lights up in his mind. Another feeling, taking over the one that once carried his emotions. While his eyes are peacefully fixated on you, he's sure his mind is screaming at himself to open his eyes, to see what's lying in right in front of him.

A/N
wtf did i just write
my writing sucks bye
anyways ty for reading and voting :)