Chapter 19: Jane

I hold Elvis close as we watch Gladys closely for any sign of movement. I glance at him and can't help but notice the bags that are slowly making themselves permanent under his eyes. It's been two weeks and Gladys hasn't improved at all. She still hasn't taken a turn for the worse, but she's been in the same state as the night she was admitted. Elvis has been here every day since, and I've been making the trip from our house to the hospital every weekend. It's taken a toll on the both of us, and our relationship has been suffering because of it. I can't blame him, though, because I'd stay here everyday too if my mother were Gladys and in the hospital.

"Elvis, you doin' okay son? Visitin' hours are almost over," Vernon cautiously says as he steps into the room. Elvis doesn't even spare him a glance and hasn't since their fight the night of her admittance into the hospital. I take the hint though and stand up, pulling Elvis with me. He says nothing as I guide him out of the room, and I shoot Vernon a pitying glance as we enter the dull hallway.

Elvis turns to me and I see a fire in his eyes that points to nothing good. "I jus' can't stand that son of a bitch! He acts like he cares so much 'bout me, but he can't be there when I need him most!" He exclaims and I bite my lip, holding back what I want to say. I decide to take the gentler approach.

"I think he wants to make things right between you two, babe. He just doesn't know how, that's all. Maybe think about giving him a chance?" I ask, trying to calm his anger, but he isn't buying it.

"So you're on his side? Of course I can't trust you no more. I know y'all have been talking behind my back!" he yells as we exit the hospital through the sliding doors. I feel my patience snap as we've had this same exact argument before.

"Listen to me," I demand, and he begins to open his mouth, but I shut him down immediately. "No. It's my turn to talk. Your dad is not evil and he is not out to get you. He is a father struggling to juggle his wife in the hospital, his son who is extremely sad, and his heavy emotions which he was taught not to show. He loves you very much and he wants to connect with you, seeing as you're his only kin left. So please, go easy on him and give him a chance. You're all he's got," I finish, and I open the car door and slide into the driver's seat, not looking at him as I close the door in his face. I watch in the rearview mirror as he trudges his way around the back of the car. I let out a needed sigh while he plops into the passenger side, and I start the car, backing out and heading home.

The car ride to his childhood home is silent, and I can tell that there's a storm brewing in his head. To try to ease his suffering, I whip out my phone at a red light and put on his playlist, and at the first note of Blue Suede Shoes he immediately perks up. He looks at me, and when I briefly meet his eyes I am taken aback by the large, goofy grin plastered on his face. It's a sight I haven't seen in a long time, and I feel a smile slowly form on my own face.

"What are you smiling at?" I ask, and he genuinely laughs. Whether he's going through a mental breakdown or not I can't tell, but I don't dare to ruin his mood.

"I jus' really love you, yeah? I'm sorry I'm bein' so grumpy lately, I jus' don't like seein' mama in a bed like that, and I'm slowly losin' hope that she'll get better. Puttin' college on hold for this semester isn't helpin' either. Stay the night with me, please?" He begs, and my heart cracks. I know that I have class tomorrow morning, and I should get back as soon as possible, but I can't say no to him.

"Okay, I'll stay, but I can't do it again. I'm getting close to the absence limit for my classes, and I can't afford to fail my classes this semester," I warn him, but I know he ignored everything I said after the word 'okay'. I smile as I pull into the driveway, and he hops out of the door before I can put the car in park. I climb out and am immediately swept off my feet, causing me to squeal. Elvis laughs, and I am transported back to when we first started dating and were in the honeymoon phase.