Chapter 11

"Surprise!" Gladys and Vernon yell when I finally get Elvis into the guest room.

"Wow! Why are you guys here?" He asks, confused.

"We're staying here, son. Jane thought it would be a good surprise!" Vernon says and Elvis's face falls. "What is it, son? Is it too much too soon?" He asks confused.

"No no no, it's all good, I was just hoping it would be just me and Jane here, you know?"  Elvis says half heartedly.

"Oh, yeah, I get it son. You want some along time to knock her up. I get it", he says with a wink.

"Vernon! We will not have this kind of talk in this house!" Gladys exclaims embarrassed and furious.

"I'm just saying, it's gonna happen if you two aren't careful."

"We will be Daddy, we will be," Elvis mutters embarrassed. "Now can you please leave?" He asks.

"Oh sure baby cakes. I love you," Gladys says and kisses him on the cheek.

"Love you too Mama. Bye!" 

"Bye!" Gladys says, and leaves with Vernon trailing out behind her.

"I'm sorry baby, I thought it was going to be an amazing surprise," I apologized to him.

"It's okay satnin. It was a surprise. I just wanted this house all to ourselves, you know? It's a new chapter in our lives. Let's live it like it is,"

"I love you so much, you know that? I love you so much it drives me insane, you know that Elvis Presley? You drive me INSANE!!" I say, and kiss him.

"Oh honey, you drive me more than insane," he says, and kisses me back. With that he slams the door shut.

              —————————————

I wake up and take a deep breath, and take in the smell of him. It's moments like these that I love the most. Just me and him in the world. Then what happened last night hits me. Oh god. Oh no. That's not what happened. It can't be. All I can think about is ending up like Codi. I shake Elvis awake.

"Elvis! Elvis!" I hiss frantically while I shake him harder and harder.

"What's wrong??" Elvis exclaims as he shoots up out of bed.

"Nothing, nothing. Just that we didn't use protection, that's all," I say.

"And you don't want to end up like Codi, I understand, and you won't. Trust me. I won't let it happen," Elvis says, reassuring me. Making me feel okay with the decision we made. Making me feel safe. "You'll be okay baby. I'll make sure of that," he says, as he lays down on the bed beside me. I lay my head on his chest, and let the rhythm of his heartbeat lull me into a sweet dream.

When I finally wake up, Elvis is gone. It's then I realize school has started back up again. Oh shoot! I panic. I'm gonna miss all of my classes! I get dressed quickly and rush out the door with my books crammed in my book bag. Luckily, Elvis and I have this class together, and it just started. I sneak in quietly and take the seat beside him.

"Why didn't you wake me up??" I hiss at him under my breath.

"Because you were sleeping so peacefully, I didn't want to wake you up," he whispers in return.

"You smell strange," I say. Strangely familiar.

"Uh, I bumped into a girl in the hallway and knocked her books out of her hands," Elvis says nervously.

"Okay," I respond, not totally satisfied with his answer.

After class, I proceed to question him further.