Chapter 6

"Jane! Jane! It's time to go!" I hear a voice call, and I run up to the bars that surround the high area of the playground and look down, searching for the source of the voice. Once I see her comfort washes over me even though I can't tell who it is.

"Okay! Coming!" I yell back and hurriedly descend the playground. I run up to her and take her outstretched hand.

"It's time to walk home now," the lady says and I look up at her face, trying to figure out who she is. I squint against the sun blazing behind her head but can't make out any features.

"Okay," I automatically respond, and skip alongside her as we head home.

"You know I love you very much, Jane," she says while finger combing my hair into place.

"Yes I know, you tell me all the time Evelyn!" I respond, my gut telling me her name is Evelyn.

"My time here on this earth is dwindling, and I want you to remember one thing," Evelyn tells me, her hand coming to a halt at the crown of my head.

"What is it, Evelyn?" I inquire.

"When I die, I want all of my things to go to you. So I am letting you know now that my will is under the creaky floorboard in my bedroom. That way you can have everything..."

I jerk upright in my bed, wide awake.

"I have to go back," I mumble.

Elvis stirs beside me and blinks the sleep out of his eyes. His eyebrows crease and he asks, "What didya say?"

I shake him awake. "I have to go back!" I shout, panic rising in my chest.

"Woah woah woah, back where?" He asks, wide awake now.

"To Evelyn's! You remember how I told you there was no will, right? That's not true. I just remembered something she said to me when I was a little kid. I have to go!" I fret and start to get out of bed. He pulls me back down and places a hand on the side of my face.

"Calm down," he coos as he kisses me on the forehead. "We can go tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay," I respond and lay back down.

****************

The next morning I'm ready for action. I get out of bed and quickly get a shower, pull some nice clothes on, and shake Elvis awake.

"C'mon, we have to get to Evelyn's!" I order, and grumbles while getting out of bed. Not up to my preferred speed, I grab his arm and begin to pull him.

"Okay! Okay, I'm comin'," He says, and I let him go. "Do you even remember where the house is?" He asks.

"1838 Sample Wood Drive," the address automatically spits out of my mouth like it was just yesterday I was that little girl who was afraid of her own shadow.

"Okay, I'm trusting you. Don't waste my gas money," he warns in a joking way. I am not in the mood for his humor.

"Just hurry up," I snap. I swipe the car keys and hand them to him with a stony expression.

"Okay, okay. I'm hurrying," he responds, sounding a little scared.

We say a brief goodbye to Thomas and Codi before we head out the door. I hop in the car and we drive in silence, Elvis understanding that this is a lot for me to handle. I wouldn't be able to talk anyway because I'm too preoccupied with the memories and trauma that come with returning to my childhood neighborhood. 

As we get closer, they hit me like a slap to the face, all the bad moments feeling like they were just yesterday. I suddenly feel like I'm choking. The emotions are too overwhelming, so I open the window and breathe the fresh air in, telling myself I'm okay.

"You good darlin?" I hear Elvis ask, but I can't choke the words out. I nod, and he seems satisfied with that.

We arrive a couple minutes later, rolling to a slow stop in front of Evelyn's house. It looks exactly the same as I remembered it. It's weird how things work. I repressed those memories to the deepest corners of my mind, but seeing this house brings back the endless nights of torture I had to suffer through to get to this point. The relief when I finally made it to Evelyn's every night, and the brief comfort that her care provided me.

"You coming?" Elvis asks, concern lacing his gaze.

I shake off my nerves and try to put confidence into my step. "Yeah, I will be," I tell him and lead the way to the front door.

Before I get there though, an intrusive memory makes its way into my conscious mind.

"Hey, where did Jane go?" I hear a gruff voice ask. I don't stop running to see who it is.

"I don't know. She couldn't have survived that jump on her own, she's on the second floor. She would've broken something!" Another voice responds. I still refuse to stop running until I see her.

"Hey! There's that little shit" The first voice shouts. I panic because there's no way I can outrun them for long. Then I see her. She's holding the car door open for me, and her car is parked right in front of mine. Both cars are up and running, ready for a quick getaway.

"Hurry!" She yells, and I use every last ounce of energy left in me and sprint the final yards to the open car door. I hop in and the woman slams the door shut.

"Go! Hurry!" She shouts at me through the car window. I step on the gas pedal and don't look back.

"Jane! Jane!" Elvis says while shaking me.

"Huh? I'm here," I say, snapping back to reality. "Just a flashback."

"Oh, Okay. Ready to go in?" He asks while taking my hand.

"I guess," I respond and gather the courage to knock on the door.