Chapter 3

I'm drifting in and out of sleep when I hear Elvis stumble into the room. I slowly open my eyes and look at my alarm clock, the red numbers reading 2:36 AM. He was gone for much longer than I expected, and I can feel the jealousy bubbling up in my stomach. In an attempt to push it away I roll over so my back is facing him, but it only intensifies the negative feelings swirling around my mind. I frown as he slips into bed beside me, and I roll back over to scold him from waking me up this early but I'm met with his lips crashing into mine.

Through the surprise I can taste the alcohol on his tongue as it enters my mouth. I cringe at the taste and pull back, earning a whine from him.

"Heyyyy, whawas 'at for?" he slurs and I roll my eyes. I can't believe that I have to deal with his drunk self the second night rooming together. 

"Elvis, you're drunk. I'm not going to be just another girl you sleep with because you feel needy," I sternly tell him and he genuinely looks like he's about to cry.

"But you're jus so pretty, 'n I can't keep my hands off'v ya," he mutters as he reaches for me, but I'm quick enough to slip out of his reach and off the bed.

"No. I'm going to sleep in the second bed and you're staying right there. We can talk about this in the morning if you still remember what happened," I say, and he stares at me.

"How could I f'rget dis? I've been waitin to kiss ya since, uh, that class. Ya know, the one with the enzymes 'n shit," he says. "The first time I saw ya, I knew that you were gonna be hard to get, and whaddya know? I was damn right." His eyebrows crease as if there's a war going on inside his head, but I'm too preoccupied with the bomb he just dropped on me.

"Since the first biology class?" I ask, suddenly wanting answers from him. 

"Haha, yea, that one. Couldn't remember that dumb name," he giggles, and snuggles under the blanket.

He starts snoring, but I can't seem to find sleep again. What he said keeps swirling around in my mind. They say drunk words are sober thoughts, but I don't know whether he's telling the truth or not. I can't afford to get my hopes up, but I really hope that he's not lying to me.

After what seems like hours of debating with myself, I start to feel the sweet relief of sleep take hold of me, and I drift into a restless sleep that I couldn't be more thankful for.

************

When I wake up, Elvis is watching a show in the bed across the room. He notices me stirring and pauses the show.

"Mornin' darlin'. How'd you sleep?" he asks and I stare at him in disbelief.

I sit up and rub my eyes before responding. "How can you ask me that? You woke me up at 2 AM, kissed me, and admitted you've liked me since we first met and then fell asleep!"

He chuckles. "Man, I was hopin' you forgot 'bout that. Not my finest moment, I'll admit. But I have to give drunk me some credit. I know what I want and I go for it with no worries 'bout what the repercussions could be. I'm bold," he says and my jaw drops.

"So you're not going to deny it? You've liked me for an entire month?" I exclaim and he smiles.

"Hey, I did say it, so there's no point in tryin' to deny it. Just gotta hope it don't end up awkward for us," he confesses and I feel my soul leave my body.

"Y-you like me? So I've spent this entire month trying to get rid of my feelings for nothing? God I wish I would've known sooner. It would've made my life so much easier," I sigh, and now it's Elvis's turn to look at me in disbelief. 

"Ya like me back?" he asks, and I feel my cheeks heat up under his gaze.

"Yeah, and I've been battling with it for a while. I didn't want to do anything because I know you don't like commitment, so I put my feelings on the backburner. But God you're so hot, and I can barely stand to share a bed with you and keep my hands to myself," I admit, my ears burning bright red. I don't dare raise my eyes from my hands in my lap.