Chapter 1

*Beep Beep Beep*

I roll over and slam my alarm clock off.

Eight thirty. I think to myself. Waaaaay too early. I roll over to see that Johnny, my roommate, is gone. I thought he didn't have classes on Thursdays, and as a morning person, he is usually still in bed. I put that thought aside, assuming he's out with his friends. 

I crawl out of bed and pull on a random pair of jeans and a T-shirt. A month into college and I already love it. It's so lenient. Not having classes every day and rooming with the funniest guy in the world, nothing could be better.

I jump in the shower and quickly slather up my waist-length hair with shampoo and condition it before stepping out and drying myself off. I brush and style my hair, parting it on the right side of my head. I look in the mirror and take in my golden hair, brown eyes, tan skin, and freckles that I'm so used to seeing. At 5'7 I'm a pretty average height but still too short to reach anything on the top shelf.

I step out of the bathroom and collect my bio, chemistry, and anatomy books, preparing for my classes of the day. Luckily I don't have Thursday labs because I've learned that they are the least favorite part of my major. 

I stuff them as well as my laptop into my bag and before I know it, it's time to go. I slip back into the bathroom and put mascara on before I head out.

As I walk out of my dorm building, the principal stops me.

"Excuse me, Jane, did you know that Johnny was selling drugs and alcohol to other students?" He asks.

Taken aback, I exclaim "What?! No! I would've gotten rid of him right away." Upon hearing this, a lot of things start to make sense. His seemingly endless amounts of money, older friends, absence from the dorm, and more. "What did he have on him?"

"Oh, the usual. Cocaine, marijuana, beer, wine and other stuff. We had to expel him without refund. It's such a shame, really. He was a very nice kid. Very smart."

"He was very funny too. I guess I'll have to find another roommate," I say sadly. Johnny and I have been online friends since 10th grade and we were excited to room together for the first year. 

"I'm sure you'll find someone who will fit the job," the principal says. "You're a very sweet girl."

"Thank you. I guess I'll be seeing you around, Mr. Johnson." I say.

"Bye. And thank you, Jane, for understanding." He responds while departing.

"No problem." I call over my shoulder, hurrying to the library to study before my first class.

*************

I pick a table on the second floor of the library and put my headphones on. I get to work, reading the biology chapter that previews the lesson we're learning today.  I focus so closely that the world melts away around me until someone slaps their hands onto my shoulders, causing me to yelp. I rip my headphones off just in time to hear the chuckles from the person behind me and shushes from the other library dwellers. 

I angrily whip my head around to come face to face with my best friend Elvis, who can't stop laughing at my outburst. 

"What made you decide to give me a heart attack today?" I angrily whisper after he's finally stopped laughing. He welcomes himself to the chair beside me and looks me dead in the eyes. Silence follows and I'm tempted to put my headphones back on and ignore him.

After a bit he finally speaks up. "Well, you were so focused on this boring coursework that I felt you needed a break," he responds and I want to smack the smug look right off his face. The twinkle in his ocean blue eyes softens my heart, though, and I keep my hands on the table where I can see them. 

He begins talking but I zone him out, taking in his appearance today. His dyed black hair is slicked back with some fruity smelling gel, and his eyes seem brighter today. His six foot frame is sitting sideways on the chair, and his muscles flex as he leans back on the chair. I can't stop ogling him, and I hope he hasn't picked up on it. But knowing his player self, I'm sure he can read me like a book. The one thing I can't stand about him is his reputation as a man whore, but as long as I'm not roped into it I ignore it. It's not my fault that I'm crushing on him big time. I just wish he weren't so-

"Hey, you? You listenin' to me?" Elvis asks, his ocean eyes starting to storm.

"Huh? Yeah, yeah I was listening. Totally," I answer absentmindedly, staring into his beautiful eyes.

"Well, as I was saying, I think it's time to get to class," he says, standing up from the table. He offers me his hand and I take it, getting up along with him. I gather my books and we head off to our first class, the very class where he tried to flirt with me.

Long story short, he failed miserably and we became best friends out of it. Not going to lie, I thought he was beautiful, but it was the first week of college and I was barely settled in. Then I found out that he slept around, and it was an absolute no for me. He's a great friend, though.

He grabs my hand jokingly as we walk out of the library and I let him, much to his surprise. He doesn't say anything about it, though. 

"Oh, I forgot to tell you, but Johnny got expelled today. I guess I get a dorm room to myself," I say, and I swear I see relief pass through his eyes.

"Oh yeah? What'd that idiot do? He was always a bit of a douchebag" he sneers, and I narrow my eyes.

"Um, firstly, he's not a douche. You can't say anything because you've broken countless hearts in this first month we've been here. Sounds pretty douchey to me. Secondly, he's my friend, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't talk about him like that," I scold him and he rolls his eyes. I promptly drop his hand. "He was selling drugs and alcohol, though. I wish he didn't do that, but there's nothing I can do now."

"Well, that'd suck to be him, but I always had my suspicions. All of them stories ya'd tell about him stumblin' back at early hours of the mornin' were red flags. I'm glad he's outta there," he grins, and I roll my eyes. 

"Okay, whatever. Let's just get to bio before we're late," I say, trying to keep the peace. We pick up our pace, and arrive to bio just in time, but instead of focusing, I spend the lesson thinking back on Elvis's strange answers.

I guess I never picked up on his dislike for Johnny. It doesn't matter though, because without being here with Johnny, I doubt out friendship will continue. Maybe he was a bad influence after all.