Chapter 10

"So, Miss Thompson, you now have ownership of the house, cars, and bank account. Thank you, and have a good day," the judge says, and I run and give Elvis a big hug. We did it! I now have more money than I know what to do with. I can't believe Jackey did it. I give Elvis a big kiss. He's too sweet for my own good. He sat through the whole trial for me.

"Well, congratulations, Jane. I hope life treats you and your friend right," Jackey comes up and tells me.

"Boyfriend, actually. But thank you, Jackey. Your help today was greatly appreciated," I say in return. Jackey looks surprised. "What's up, Jackey?"

"Oh, I didn't know you were dating anyone. It's just a surprise to me, that's all," He responds.

"Yeah. We've been dating for a while," I lie. It's not a total lie, it has been two weeks, but it's not the total truth either.

"Cool. Well, I wish you two the total best, and I will hopefully never see you ever again. That was intense today!" He jokes. I laugh politely.

"See you around, maybe. Bye!" I say, and walk away quickly. Elvis walks me out the door and to his car where we drive to Codi and Thomas's house. When we get there, there's and ambulance parked in the driveway. "Oh god, Elvis, what's happening?" I ask before bolting our the door into the house. I hear screaming as I run in. "Codi?? CODI??" I shout.

"She's in her room!" Thomas shouts.

"I'm coming baby don't worry!" I shout and sprint upstairs. When I get to her room what I see is shocking. Codi is laying on the stretcher with the baby halfway born. There are tears streaming down her face. But they're not tears of pain, they're tears of fear. The baby is two months early. It may not make it. "Oh Codi, I'm here for you every step of the way," I say, and run to her side. The paramedics look hopeless. They know the baby may not make it. Elvis then walks in and then walks right out.

"I'll be out here baby, okay?" Elvis asks. Codi and I giggle.

"That's fine!" I say, and roll my eyes at Codi.

"Boys. They're so squeamish," she says, then screeches. The baby slips out with the umbilical cord wrapped around its neck. The paramedics rush over right away and unwrap the umbilical cord and whisk the baby away. But not before I get a look at it. It's the tiniest baby I've ever seen. It's a girl, just as I predicted. It's a beautiful baby. She has the biggest ocean blue eyes just like her mother. She has black peach fuzz covering her head, the color of her father's hair. She has her mother's upturned nose, the one thing they both wanted her to have, besides the blue eyes. If she makes it, she will be a heartthrob, which I don't doubt she will. If she's a fighter like her mother, she will be able to do anything

Beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

"No! Oh god no! Please god kill me instead of her! NO!" Codi screams.

"Oh lord please, please, please," I pray. "Please, please let her live."

"I'm so sorry, but she didn't make it," the lead paramedic says, and Codi loses it. Me and Thomas have to hold her down to keep her from killing someone or something. But then something happens. Her body starts tensing up, and she starts pushing. Another head starts showing.

"Another one?!" Codi screeches. "I can't do that!"

"Yes you can! Come on Codi! Do you want to raise a kid or not?" I yell at her.

"Yes!" She yells back at me.

"Okay, well then do this!" I tell her, and she gets to it. After a few minutes, the baby comes out. This one stars crying immediately, and it looks just like it's sister before, just slightly chubbier. Again, it's a girl. A beautiful, healthy, baby girl.

"Oh, what a beauty!" Codi exclaims when she receives the baby. I put my hand on her shoulder, and kiss the baby.

"What are you gonna name her?" I ask.

Codi looks at Thomas, and he nods.

"Well, we are gonna name the first one Aubrey Ann, and this beaut Jane. Jane Grace. After you, the one who believed in me when I didn't believe in myself. I thank you, and I love you so much," Codi says, wiping tears from her eyes.

"I love you too Codi. And I hope to follow in your footsteps someday, if me and Elvis ever get married," I say.

"I hope we get married too," Elvis whispers in my ear, making me jump. Codi and Thomas laugh.

"You're still so jumpy just like when I met you in high school. You haven't changed a bit," Thomas says, and I laugh.

"You wanna hold her?" Codi asks.

"Sure," I say, and take the baby in my arms. The baby smiles, and touches my nose. I kiss hers, and she giggles and snuggles closer to me. "I love you already, little Jane," I say, and hand her back to her mother. Elvis comes up behind me and kisses the top of my head. I lean back on him.

"This will be us someday, you know it," Elvis says. I shudder with delight. "We better go home, baby. You've had a stressful day."

"Okay," I say. I kiss little Jane and her mother goodbye, and follow Elvis out the door. When we get to the car, he kisses me roughly. I kiss him back. I pull away before it gets too far. "Elvis, baby, we dont wanna end up like them, do we?" I ask.

"No, not yet anyway," he says. I giggle. "Someday, maybe, but not anytime soon."

"Agreed," I say as he peels out of the parking lot towards our new home.

When we get there, I am amazed. The house is magnificent. It has big, beautiful pillars on the front porch, and a long, grand driveway. The house itself is white, with black shutters surrounding each window. It's a large house, bigger than what I thought it was when I bought it. I was thinking about moving Elvis's parents in, but I'm now certain I will. I'll keep it a secret though. Elvis will love it.

"Shall we?" Elvis asks.

"We shall," I respond, and take his arm and we walk up the driveway to the front door. When we get there, I take a deep breath. This house is a whole new chapter in our lives, but I felt that there was going to be a big bump in the road soon.