Chapter 3

We reached the kingdom of Atlas around nighttime. The pilot landed the ship in front of the facility where Arthur Watts was staying.

"Do you need anything else, ma'am?" the pilot asked.

I turned to him and smiled. "No thank you. Have a nice night."

Roman and Neo got off after me and followed me into the medical facility.

"So... wanna tell me where the hell we are?" Roman asked.

"This is a highly secure medical facility. My associate, Arthur Watts, is here. He wants to meet with you both."

Neo shrugged and transformed into one of the nurses nearby.

I led them down a hallway and to a very large office. Arthur Watts was sitting at his desk, watching some security footage.

"I swear his army gets bigger each time," I heard him mumbling.

I cleared my throat and spoke.
"Watts, I've arrived with my new associates."

He turned to face me and smiled.
"Excellent, Cinder. Are you sure they'll be helpful to our cause?"

I nodded. "They seem very capable. I've made some arrangements with them, so it shouldn't be an issue. Now... do you have any information about the winter maiden?"

Arthur looked suspiciously towards Roman and Neo.

"Shall I fill them in?" he asked.

"No need. I'll do the honor."

Roman and Neo looked confused.
"What on Remnant are you talking about?"

"You see, there are four powerful maidens in Remnant. Capable of using magic. A tool long forgotten from humanity. My goal is to take their power for myself. And you two are going to help me."

Roman took a step back.
"Look. I just came because of money. I don't want any business with your desire for power!"

I walked closer to him, glaring deep into his eyes.
"If that's how you feel, then I'll just dispose of you. I'll make it quick."

I summoned some fire. But before I could shoot it towards Roman, Watts took me by my wrist.

"What do you think you're doing? We'll need all the assistance we can get. Allow me to handle this."

I glared at him, but said nothing as he walked up to Roman.

"You'll have to excuse my associate. She can be... a bit short fused. It's from my understanding that you're after some Lien. In that case..."

Watts opened up a metal suitcase filled with hundreds of thousands of Lien.

"You can have this for now. If you decide not to work with us, I'll see that you're in prison for the rest of your life. I know of your  heinous crimes, Roman Torchwick. Do you want to rot in a prison cell for the rest of your days?"

Roman looked at the suitcase and quickly grabbed it.
"Fine. I'll do whatever you want. Just don't send me to prison."

Watts smiled. "That's what I thought. And what about this young girl? What value does she have?"

Neo changed back to her original form and winked at Watts. He rose his eyebrows in surprise.

"That's a neat little trick," he said.
"Is that your semblance?"

Neo nodded, but didn't speak.

"I think Neo will be a fine asset to us," I said. "But first... I'll need to change her outfit. And upgrade her sword."

Watts nodded. "I see. Well then, feel free to use the house I've rented for you. After you've gotten   Roman and miss Neo here settled, I'll need you to come back alone so we can discuss some things."

I nodded and started to walk out of the facility. Watts had sent me the location of the house a few moments later.

"Stay at the house for now," I told Roman, showing the address. "We'll meet up with you later. Come on, Neo. Let's get that awful outfit upgraded."

Neo shrugged and followed close behind, while Roman went the other direction.

I walked around the city until I spotted a nice clothing shop. Neo must've noticed it too, because she started tugging at my arm and pointing to the window.

There was an outfit displayed. It had a simple pink, brown, and white design. It reminded me of Neo's hair.

"Do you want to try on that outfit?" I asked her.

She smiled and nodded excitedly, running inside the shop. I sprinted after her and caught her by the wrist.

"Don't run off without me," I snapped at her.

She looked down at the floor, embarrassed.

"Now," I said, "let's get you some new clothes. After that, I'll work on upgrading your weapon."

I purchased the outfit that had been displayed and had Neo try it on. It seemed like the perfect fit. She smiled and twirled around.

"Glad you like it," I told her. "How about we head to the blacksmith and see what we can do with your sword?"

Neo shook her head, and walked over to the other side of the store. I was about to ask her what she was doing, when she lifted up a pink parasol that matched her outfit. She gestured at her sword, then then the parasol.

"So you want to hide your weapon in there?" I asked her.

She nodded and floated toward me with the parasol.

"How much for this parasol?" I asked the cashier.

"About twenty Lien," the cashier replied.

I quickly handed him the cash and walked out of the store with Neo following close behind me. Once we had made it back to the house, Roman was waiting outside.

"Nice outfit," he said, looking at Neo. "It suits you, pipsqueak."

Neo glared at him, but remained quiet.

"Roman, do you know anyone that can forge weapons?"

He sighed. "Here? No way. But I'm sure I can make a few calls. Why do you ask?"

I gestured towards the parasol Neo was holding.
"Neo needs a weapon upgrade. I believe she wants her sword concealed within her parasol."

Neo smiled and nodded.

Roman grabbed his scroll from his pocket and started to type in some numbers.
"Alright. I'll have it done. I have enough money to do whatever I want anyway. Don't you have to go meet Watts or something?"

"I do," I told him. "I'll need you to watch after Neo until I return. You can handle that, can't you?"

Roman grinned, and put his arm on Neo's shoulder.

"Sure thing. I won't let this pipsqueak run away or do anything suspicious."

Neo growled and poked Roman with her sword.

"Alright, if you keep doing that, we'll never get your weapon upgraded!" he told her.

She backed away slowly, lowering her sword.

"That's better," Roman said. "We'll see you when you get back, Cinder."