Chapter 17

I awoke to streams of sunlight surrounding me. Then I felt my scroll vibrate next to me. I picked it up to read whatever message was sent to me.

'Initiation is set to begin in one hour. Join each other at the cliff near Emerald Forest. Students who are not attending Beacon Academy or are in senior classes can ignore this message.'

I smiled. This would be a perfect opportunity to see how these kids fought. I got up from my bed to see Roman and the rest awake as well.

"How'd the meeting with Adam go?" I asked.

Roman turned to me. "Surprisingly well. I just gave them some Lien and dust, and I got control over a few hundred members or so. They plan on attacking Beacon. I'm not sure why, though..."

"Hm... interesting. See if you can learn more about that. As for the rest of you, you may do what you wish. I'll be watching the initiation. Very closely. And then I'll probably stay around for the team ceremony they have."

"I'll come with you," Emerald spoke up.

"I guess I could join," Mercury said.

Neo nodded but said nothing.

"We can meet after the initiation," I said. "Because I don't want you all in the forest while I'm trying to study how these students fight."

Mercury and Emerald nodded. Neo did too, smiling at me.

"Good. I'll see you three later."

I walked out the front door and started to make my way towards the forest. If I took a shortcut, I could probably make it before the initiation started.

I was about to turn another direction when I stopped in my tracks. I saw a man. He was tanned and was around eight feet tall. And when he turned to me and made eye contact, I immediately recognized him.

"Hazel," I said. "How curious it is to find you in a place like this?"

He stared at me. "I could ask you the same question. Why are you here in a forest like this?"

I looked around the forest and thought about Gretchen. Her fading eyes as she looked back at me all those years ago...

"I'm here to learn and watch how these students fight," I said to him. "But I think you have a more...personal reason."

Hazel glared at me. "What makes you say that?"

"Well, seeing as your sister was once training to become a huntress here, I would feel some nostalgia as well. And sadness."

Hazel's eyes widened as he slowly realized.
"No one could know that information. Unless—"

"That's right," I told him. "We met all those years ago. "I witnessed your sister's death..."

"Who are you?" Hazel asked.

I stood there, smiling. "Well, my name was Summer Rose. But now I go by Cinder Fall. I can understand your pain, Hazel. And I'm sure you can avenge your sister."

He looked at me, his eyes glaring.
"And how do you expect I do that?"

I grinned. "By taking out your pain and anger on Professor Ozpin. If you help me, I'll promise to get you as close to the professor as possible. And I don't care how you do it. But I want him killed. But not now."

Hazel nodded. "Deal. I want him dead. He's killed my sister. And I'll do the same to him. Besides, you were one of the first friends my sister made all those years ago. I owe you a great debt."

I could feel the flames around my eyes were glowing.
"Excellent. You can stay here for a while. I'll meet back up with you later."

"Wait."