Pt 5

We found ourselves in an arcade. Flashing lights, loud noises. Soobin had just lost another 50 cents to a crane machine. He reached into his pocket.

"Shoot!" he grumbled, "I only have a dollar left."

I laughed, arms full of treats and plushes, "Well don't spend it on any more prize-based games! My hands are full, Soobs!"

He stared off at the ceiling for a moment, thinking.

"Okay," he said, "follow me, then!"

He walked up to a DDR machine, mouth gaping in excitement.

"I'm good at this one," he nodded at me, eyes wide. I laughed at his expression. He stepped up onto the machine, put in his last remaining dollar, and selected a song. Teenage Dream by Katy Perry.

He held onto the back handle and started tapping away with his feet. He was pretty good.

"What did you play in the band?" I asked curiously.

"Drums," Soobin said in between breaths.

"Of course," I smiled, "Rhythm skills."

"Of course," he repeated. His hair bouncing. His back flexing. Oh God.

"Nice!" Mia crept up behind and jumpscared me.

"Mia!" I shouted. Clara and Matt approached, laughing about something.

"So. . ." Mia whispered, "How's the date going?"

"Oh my God, would you stop?! Nothing is happening!" I responded quietly.

"Sureee," Mia glanced down at all the stuffed animals in my arms and took her backpack off, "I'm taking these off your hands so you can hold him when he-"

"MIA!" I exclaimed. Soobin had just finished the song.

"Cute bunny," she placed the bunny in her bag, "Don't worry, I'll let you have them back when you tell me about how your night went," she snickered.

Soobin approached us, wiping his forehead. Pushing his hair back. Those eyes.

"We're gonna get going soon. . . you okay here? Got a ride?" Mia said. I knew exactly what she was doing.

"Ahhh," I exhaled, "Soobin?"

"Of course! I can drive her home, don't worry about it," he said with a sincere expression.

"Great!" Mia announced, linking her arms with Clara and Matt before they all left.

"D-did you want to stay for the fireworks?" he said softly.

"Fireworks? Sure! I didn't know they did fireworks!"

"Yeah, only a few times, on the weekends," he murmured, suddenly nervous, "It's pretty late. They should be starting in a few minutes."

We walked outside, shoes crunching the grass. The air was warm. There was a cool breeze every once in a while. We stood at one end of a bridge, moon reflecting in the water. There was no one around. Everyone must have crowded to where the fireworks would be. My elbows leaned on the cold concrete railing. Soobin stood a little ways behind me. He was always doing that. All of the sudden, POP! The fireworks soared, sizzled, and sparked one after another. Red stars that floated to the ground. Sparkling swirls. Ripples in the water. Suddenly, he tapped my arm. His touch was short but intentional.

"Hmm?" I turned to see his beady eyes sparkling with the shifting colors of the carnival lights and fireworks. Red, to blue, to orange, to purple. Pops of color. I paused for a moment, lost in him. He had never looked at me this way before. His eyes locked with mine, then they suddenly flickered down and back up again.

"Can I..." he began. His hands were visibly shaking.

He didn't need to say anything else. I looked down at his lips as he did at mine. But unlike him, I held my gaze. I breathed heavily, butterflies in my stomach made my eyes water. I was waiting for this moment, I just hadn't realized it. I nodded quietly and apparently too subtly, because he leaned forward dramatically to meet my eyes and asked again, more nervous this time.

"Can..." his voice faded. I nodded more abruptly this time, staring back at him. Almost instantly, he weaved his hands behind my ears, caressing my cheeks lightly. His hands were strong and determined, juxtaposing his incredibly shy personality. He stood up straight again, tilting my head back to look at him. He began to lean, eyes fluttering shut. My eyes did the same. The bright lights slowly disappeared. I let out one last breath before his lips touched mine. A soft friction. His thumbs pressed into my skin gently as he pushed forwards. I leaned my head back more. I decided to lift my arms and wrap them around his nape carefully. I started threading my fingers through his hair, just the ends. Twisting and tugging strands between my thumbs. His lips. A velvet touch. Wet and shaking. A tremble he tried to prevent. I slipped my hands down his exposed neck onto his collarbone, then back up to his face. With each movement after, I could feel his dimples sinking and lifting. He breathed and released, still holding my face close to his. I had inched forwards a little to catch his lips again, but he had already stood up straight. I opened my eyes to see him looking blissful, but that bliss turned to panic in a second when he noticed my expression.

"Oh," he murmured and moved in again. I couldn't help but smile at his concern. This time, his hands carefully held my waist. I laced my fingers around his neck again, but this time I pulled him closer. He was a little startled and tripped slightly. I heard an accidental mumble. I felt like I was going to burst. I realized I hadn't breathed in a while. I subtly pulled away and opened my eyes, cupping his flushed red face, "Was that okay?" he asked quietly, eyes focused and partially closed, firework ashes sparkling as they fell from the sky.