Pt 21

I carefully rested my hands on Kai's shoulders and he awkwardly held my waist. Our dancing was more like stepping in place, and he was unbelievably shy when he was away from everyone else. He barely held eye contact with me for longer than a few seconds, then quietly turned away.

"You know," he finally spoke, "he would never stop talking about you after he saw you that night, it was pretty funny."

"Really?" I looked up at him with a smile.

"Yup," he paused for a moment, "you have to take good care of him, okay? He's pretty sensitive. If there's something you're unhappy about, you need to be honest with him."

"I know, Hyuka," I nodded sincerely, "don't worry," I looked down to watch my feet before I stepped on his, "he's in good hands."

The rest of the song passed, complete silence between the two of us. 

++

Once it ended, we walked back to the others and got drinks. They played many more high tempo songs, and we spent all of our time on the dance floor. We had our own little circle. My face began to ache with how much I was laughing. Finally, the woman appeared on the stage again. She gave a short speech about sponsors and supporters, but she ended with saying, "This is the final song of the night! Thank you all for coming!"

Everyone cheered and the song started to play. It was one of those relaxed, trendy songs again. I recognized it instantly as one of the songs on our playlist. I looked back and saw Soobin bowing like a prince with his hand held out.

"M'lady," he said quietly.

I let out a small laugh and curtseyed, taking it. He then wrapped his hands around my waist tightly. I gasped nervously and intertwined my fingers behind the nape of his neck. Streetlights, concrete pavement, and two exhausted lovers. At one moment, I moved closer and rested my head on his chest. Swaying, spinning, singing. I could hear his voice in my ear, "I didn't have the chance to tell you this earlier, but you look beautiful."

I couldn't help but break a smile, "You're so handsome," I let out without thinking, "did your mom help with your hair?"

"How did you know?" I could tell he was smiling by the way his voice sounded.

"Just a lucky guess."

I released him, palms cupping his smiling face. His soft eyes. The song was coming to an end. I quickly pulled him close until his lips touched mine.

++

"Shhhh, Odi," his arms were wrapped under my body and legs, and I heard his voice through muffled ears. I was unbelievably tired, and he was carrying me. His parents were asleep, and he insisted it was okay. I didn't want to leave and go home to be alone after the dance had ended.

Odi continued to chirp and scurry across the floor. For a moment, we were still. I could tell he was trying to think of what to do. Then, he carefully released my legs and stood me up.

"Y/N," he whispered.

"Mm?" I opened my eyes just barely. My eyelids were still heavy.

"What do you want to-"

"Could you help me?" I mumbled and reached for the zipper on my dress, "this is so tight."

"Oh!" Soobin gasped and turned to face my back. He paused for a second, "Ah, wait."

I heard him open his closet door and pull something off a hanger. 

"Here, put this on, over," he raised my arms and pulled a large band t-shirt over my head. After I had put it on, he reached under and started pulling the zipper down. I could feel his cold fingertips on my skin. He carefully pulled the dress down and to the ground, and held my arm while I stepped out of it. The shirt I had on was long enough that I was covered.

"Go ahead and lay down," he flattened the sheets on his bed and raised them for me to crawl in. That vanilla smell lingered underneath my nose. Now that I was laying down though, I wasn't as tired. After a few minutes, I opened my eyes and saw Soobin laying back in a large chair across from me. He had changed into a t-shirt and some sweatpants with white socks.

"Hey," I mumbled. His eyes opened slowly. I could tell he was tired, too, even more than me, "come here, it's cold."

A silly excuse. 

He stood up and shuffled over. I scooted back as he climbed in. Instantly, I wrapped my arm over and around him, nuzzling my face into his shirt. I looked up at him and saw those sparkling eyes looking down at me. I reached up and fluffed out his hair. The amount of hair gel and spray made it crunchy, and flakes of the gel were falling out.

"Oh my," I laughed. His bangs fell in his face once again and he smiled. We stared at each other for a few seconds. The lights in his room shone a golden yellow. I saw them reflected in his eyes. Each blink was so gentle, so loving. I tapped my pointer fingertip to my lips a couple times. I watched his eyes follow my gesture and close. He leaned his head down and met me. Soft and warm. We were so close in that moment.

I looped my leg around him and pulled him closer. One of his hands rested on my neck, thumb pressing into my cheekbone. I felt myself melting. I could have stayed there forever. I never wanted this to end. He was perfect.

I whimpered a little when he released.

"Please stay here with me," he murmured, out of breath, "I think. . ." he paused, fingers running through my hair, uncertain, "you are the best thing to ever happen to me."

"Ah, Soobin," I whispered, leaning my head on his chest. I could hear his heartbeat. Slow. I smiled and wrapped my arm around him. He did the same.

"I'm serious, I-" he stopped.

"I know," I felt my eyelids finally grow heavy again and I moved up to rest my head in the crook of his neck, "I won't leave you. I'll be here."

He exhaled quietly and with a sense of relief, 

kissing my forehead 

as we both drifted 

into the night.