Pt 19

"Ah!" I gasped, "Beomgyu! You scared me!"

"Good," he scoffed with a smile, putting his hat on, "Did I catch you staring again? It's sort of like a game at this point."

"Ha-ha, very funny," I said sarcastically, "If Mia worked here, you would be-"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, okay," Beomgyu elbowed me, "just get changed, I see a crowd coming and I don't wanna be scrambling."

"Alright," I took one last look at MOA Cones. Soobin scooped some ice cream into a dish and handed it to a customer, but his eyes were locked with mine. Because of this, his hand slipped and he almost dropped it. Luckily, he caught it before it fell out of reach. The customer appeared upset anyways and stomped away. Soobin looked back at me and I covered my mouth, trying not to laugh. He shrugged with a smirk, dimples.

++

Beomgyu was able to get off early to prepare for the show, but I had to stick around until close. I gave him a little wave before he hopped out of the truck. I caught Soobin and Kai closing down their truck too. Huening looked so excited and was bouncing up and down. Soobin smiled at him sweetly before spotting Beomgyu. The three met up and walked together towards the stage. Luckily I still had plenty of time to head over before the show started.

Despite this, I changed quickly and practically ran to the venue. The sun was beginning to set, creating a beautiful painted sky behind the five of them as they set up. Mia was talking to Beomgyu for a moment. Clara was quietly admiring Taehyun in the audience, sitting next to Matt. I got excited and ran up to Soobin.

"Hey!" I smiled as he set up the cymbals and grabbed his drumsticks. The show was to start in 10 minutes.

"Hi," he was glowing, but I could tell he was nervous, "I'm really happy I get to do this for you."

My face suddenly felt hot. He took my hand and held it. He knew exactly what he was doing.

"I just came to wish you good luck," my voice shook. How even now does he make me tremble in such a foolish way?

"Okay," he said softly and stood up, now towering over me. I noticed his arms now. He was wearing a muscle shirt, so it was impossible to ignore. He raised his other hand and placed it on my cheek and around my head. He hunched over to reach me, and I closed my eyes, letting myself get lost for a moment.

++

Their performance lasted about 45 minutes or so. They covered a few songs, debuted a few originals, and took some breaks in between. I spent most of it jumping around and dancing with Mia.

Soobin looked so incredible. Smashing and pounding on the drums. His hair was bouncing and his expression focused yet blissful. The others were so engaged and thrilled, especially Taehyun. I could tell this was his passion, more than anything. Huening and Beomgyu were quiet and focused. Occasionally they smiled and danced around with the others. Yeonjun performed like a true rockstar, engaging with the audience yet still playing perfectly. I was surprised they ever split the band. I felt incredibly lucky to be watching them come together like this. I was so absorbed and mesmerized for those 45 minutes, and I couldn't have been more proud.

The sun had disappeared below the horizon and small stars dotted the deep blue sky. Everyone started packing up. I helped Soobin carry his things to his car. Drums were definitely a lot more awkward and difficult to transport than I had originally thought. I mostly carried the stands and left the heavy lifting to Soobin.

Mia was tangled in Beomgyu's arms. A heartwarming moment. After many small trips, Soobin and I said our goodbyes and walked back to his car. He offered to give me a ride home. We turned on our playlist.